• You are not logged in.

œ key

• Started by bph
    • 8 Replies:

this ones maybe for dreymar

how come i've got a 'œ' key in the middle bottom row wide layout?

Has anyone changed this to something more useful?

I don't think I've ever typed that character in my life so it prob doesn't belong there

but what to change it to?

Last edited by bph (20-Feb-2017 10:57:31)

Yep, this one's definitely for me. :-)

That's the extra ISO key (VK_102, <LSGT>, ...). I'm guessing you use my PKL files, in which I've set that to the OE ligature symbol. Most modern users don't require it, but if you want a fancier English you may use both Œ, Æ, the diaeresis accent and more! At the risk of seeming archæic, I guess. ;-) It's used in French, too.

For locale layouts, the extra key is very useful indeed! I use it for the Norwegian letter Ø (which incidentally, is very similar to Œ!), for instance.

Its <LSGT> name stems from the fact that many layouts has mapped it to the less/greater than symbols, but using a US-type layout these are better placed above dot/comma. Other layouts have an extra minus/underscore key there, which is unnecessary.

That key could be used for anything you type that's a bit rare but still occurs now and then. It's up to you to decide what that might be! No wrong answers I think.

At some point in the future of PKL, it'll support ligatures/hotstrings, so then you could put the hotstring dead key there! :-) Actually, you may consider whether any of the existing dead keys (maths, greek, currency...) would be useful to you in a more accessible position?

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Feb-2017 11:35:03)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

has anyone uk based swapped it out for something else?

i'm racking my brains as to what i should put in its place

but theres also the consideration I don't want to make life hard, i.e. have to remember how to do a manual intervention every time I do an OS upgrade

its already hard enough!

(thats more a reflection on me than the tools available for the process i must add)

If you haven't yet felt a need for another key, then just ignore it. It's tucked away in a fairly inaccessible spot anyway. If at any point you do feel such a need, you'll know where to go.

Whisper words of wisdom: Let it be. :-)

Of course, if you feel like having some fun, you could put an extra modifier on that key! Unfortunately I haven't yet implemented multiple Extend layers for PKL, otherwise it'd make a decent Extend2 modifier.

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Feb-2017 14:04:21)

on a slight tangent, its a real bloody shame i can't put your extend layer on my minila fn key

the hardwired minila fn layer has opened my eyes to the possibilities, but left me unable to fully exploit!

I agree, but unless you're willing to implement a hardware solution to a hardware challenge, you'll just have to deal with it. We can't do that one in software.

But you know that already. I shall stop talking, at some point. Nah.

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Feb-2017 14:57:33)

i'm sort of loathed to take a soldering iron to it

i'll prob make do and keep an eye out for a planck massdrop

in which case i'd prob sell the minila and prob best in that instance that I haven't done anything to it..

Best of luck! Though as you may be aware, I don't trust ortholinear boards in general. ;-)

trust issues? has an ortholinear run off with your lady in the past or somesuch?

i think it would mean you can forget about touch typing on a regular keyboard ever again

how sensible that is depends largely on the individual