• You are not logged in.

New optimal layout...

• Started by achy
    • 6 Replies:

I have some idea, being impressed by arensito keyboard layout. It is possible to create a layout with all necessary keys on three central rows. Some keys will be "modifiers", such as shift, alt, etc. in qwerty. But it is possible to create more such keys. E.g. one modifier-key for punctuation, one for numbers, one for control-keys (arrows, pgup, pgdn, home, end, ...). One hand is pressing modifier, and other have a half of keyboard to press modified key.

It is necessary to investigate frequency of key-presses not only for ABC, but also numbers, arrows, ... .

I know, this layout will be extremely difficult to learn, but it will be possible not to move hands above keyboard.

I don't know, if it is possible to create such layout on Windows (simply).

I don't like arensito - it uses 4 rows and it isn't extensible enough to work with other alphabets, such as cyrillic. And afaik it doesn't work on Windows.

P.S. Colemak is gj. Dvorak's "l" and "s" tire me...

• Shai
    • Administrator

I don't think such a keyboard will be optimal for normal usage on most application, because it's slower and more error prone to press two keys at a time instead of one.

I do however suggest you check out the Vim editor with the Colemak mappings. When you use the Vim editor you don't need to move your hands off the home position to navigate around the file.

Charles Moore uses only 27 keys of his keyboard:

http://www.colorforth.com/keys.html

This isn't good for normal uses but it could be a source of inspiration.

Shai, thanks for quick and informative answer =) Today I tried Vim first time :)

Jules, do you know any details of this layout? Is it usable only for forth?

I just want to try some really crazy layout =)

I think, I'll use colemak for serious work. :) I had to name topic "crazy layout for brain blast" =)

Some new idea... Shai, you are right, "accord" keyboard is not optimal for usual text typing. It's better to have a powerful text-editor. Vim is good, but not ideal. As I have understood, you have to press escape key too often.

It's possible to create an editor, which understands Colemak/Dvorak/Qwerty and/or some other layout but prints a char only when you release this key. And if you have pressed a key, but have not released yet, this key works as modifier. So you can type texts as usual, but you have the ability to press some specific keys easier, such as arrows or numbers or signs as em dash (Alt-0151).

For example arrows could be accessed by permanent pressing of 'N' key and pressing keys F, S, R, T for up, down, left, right...

However, I don't think I'm the smartest guy on Earth; of course I have to study what were done by humanity in this area during its centuries-long history... =)) Especially what features Vim (and may be other popular text editors) considers the most important.

This program can be only plugin (may ve for Eclipse).

I just want to make some experiments, but the probability of creation of something useful is not nil (I hope).

Any case your work will be greater than my =)

Vim with Colemak.vim uses tab instead of escape. It uses ueni-keys (ikjl on qwerty) as arrow keys. Try it out, I liked it.

The colorforth keyboard only works on the colorforth "operating system" but maybe it's possible to create a windows/linux version of it?

Last edited by Jules (29-Sep-2006 15:17:28)