• You are not logged in.

Useless Keys

• Started by bph
    • 2 Replies:

Are these the most useless keys?

Insert - who ever uses this, or wants this functionality? Only time I ever use it is by mistake, and then marvel at how annoying it is
    Scroll Lock - I have never, even accidentally, hit it. I couldn't even tell you what it does
    Pause/Break - as per scroll lock

I would wager that no-one in the history of typing has managed to make these keys shiny..

@davkol - as ever, your attention to detail is commendable, you reminded me that I do super occasionally use C-Ins, Shift-Ins for copy and paste in a term (when I'm not running a shell from within emacs).

scroll lock and pause doesn't seem to do anything in libreoffice SS unfortunately

scroll lock and pause don't seem to do anything in an ubuntu term either

My take.
    • Insert: On Extend layer. Hardly ever used there by me (I use the Copy/Paste keys which use it indirectly). Real key sits gathering dust with the rest of its block.
    • ScrlLock: I don't use it. Key sometimes used for GUI/Win on 101/104 key boards.
    • Pause/Break: On Extend layer. Real key used by my TMK converter as layer switch key.

It's even possible to use it as "ghetto foot switch", stripping off the other keys around it on a cheapo board and putting it on the floor.

I guess these keys mostly sit around waiting for someone to need an extra key that doesn't have to be very accessible. ;-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***