• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Video of Alternate Fingering practice

Video of Alternate Fingering practice

• Started by misterW
    • 1 Replies:

Today I had the idea that I needed to be able to practice knowing when and when not to use my alternate fingerings for the letters ER (I use qwerty). normal fingering being fingers L32 and alternate being L43. Sometimes you'll want to use 432 for 'ert' or 32 for 'rt' etc

So I threw a wordlist together of words with ERT, and I tried to alternate each word, first word normal fingering, second word alternate fingering, third word normal, 4th alternate, etc. I decided to record a video of myself as well.

Here is the wordlist that I did:

help every between other come earth few first head sort number very her there these where even below have are change we river really for her tree life get new father need over feet above tell from open for use three some together once mother paper another give their try paper live page letter question for mile large make story same car side never write saw grow then girl went start set ever because important world letter when

And here's the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvD6Q9Qkhr4

As you can see I'm stuttering all over the place, indecisive on which fingers to use, and also not hitting the keys squarely in the middle. This felt super slow and lacking in confidence. Amphetype said this run was 79wpm. =(

I didn't know how to record the screen and sync it. I don't know if this is useful or not.

Last edited by misterW (10-Mar-2017 21:13:46)

Ok so here's some progress after a couple of days of practice:

https://youtu.be/2lG8gPCFTz4

As you can tell I'm a bit more confident about the fingerings although still not great. But it feels much better now, and 103wpm at 99% accuracy compared to 78wpm previously proves it.

I'm also not truly alternating my hand back and forth each word. Sometimes its just easier to leave my hand in place for the next word, and so I do that. Eventually that could have me pressing S and W with pinky (I already do this for the word "grow" in the video). I will be investigating that. In effect, it would become a new 'homerow', but not really, because I wouldn't be resting my fingers there. But then again, what is a home row? Is it your starting position? Because no one should be bringing their their hands back after each keystroke anyway..

And although the practice in Amphetype is feeling better, its still nowhere near ingrained yet. As I'm playing typeracer, or writing emails, or even writing this post, I'm very indecisive about which fingering to use still, hesitating like crazy, and going fairly slow.

Last edited by misterW (15-Mar-2017 03:02:35)
      • Index
      • General
      • Video of Alternate Fingering practice