• You are not logged in.

Thinking about switching

• Started by R4nd0m-Pr0
    • 11 Replies:

Hello, I'm currently a QWERTY keyboard user, as of today, I type 108 WPM sustained for a 4 minute test with 0% errors with letters capitalized/non-capitalized and all ~!" etc. (after I warmed up) but am very unhappy with the keyboard layout. First off it is so annoying hitting the caps lock all the time while reaching for shift, and the more I think about it the more i begin to realize the ineffective finger movement I experience with QWERTY keyboards. I do quite a lot of work with typing and in my opinion with in a couple of weeks of work switch successfully to what ever layout I put the work into. Is there anyone "+" and "-" feedback that i should be aware of before attempting the switch? I will be cutting the QWERTY link cold turkey as wussboy did.

Thanks,
    R4nd0m-Pr0

I think you just have to do it.  All learning is painful and frustrating, but worth it in the end.  Prepare for a couple weeks of frustration and for slow, gradual progress.  Also, tell your friends and family that you love them before you switch. You certainly won't after!  :)

Good luck!

The most negative thing I can thing of, would be that you're a fast QWERTY typist already which means that it's well trained in your motor memory. Thus, you will not experience a lot of improvement immediately and may feel "speed blind" and annoyed at your low speed for a while.

On the positive side, you have thought about layouts and have a motivation. I'm sure you'll do fine. And then you can start competing with Ryan Heise on his test page to see which will be the fastest Colemak typist! I'm only at 64 WPM but even that is a good improvement over my best QWERTY and Dvorak speeds from back then. It took me at least half a year to surpass my old speed and I know that it's been a lot faster for others. But it's so worth it.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Just do a double check on the strength of your WHY behind your motivation before beginning.  At the speed you already type in Qwerty, the source of your motivation is going to need to be very strong for the amount of frustration you are going to feel going cold turkey.  You will learn why Shai who created Colemak put so much weight on the idea of making the transition from the Qwerty the lesser hell possible that he could discover.  You probably learned touch typing as kid to go that fast with Qwerty and so have completely forgotten how you learned or what frustration of learning you went through.  You might check out some of the posts by those in the forum that have learned Colemak but made an effort to retain and did their Qwerty skills as well, you might not want to throw that skill away if it's not necessary to learn this layout.

I ripped this off a typing course site ( http://www.typing-lessons.org/preliminaries_2.html ) and it is probably the best statement of what you will have to discipline yourself to follow if you want to learn in the fastest most efficient manner.   The same principles of learning I have seen expressed by great piano teachers as well.  If you don't force yourself to take baby steps initially, you will regret it.  You have to learn it cold at each stage before moving on so that speed with accuracy will come with time. 

-----------------

Here are the most important things that you, as your own self-coach, must always keep in the forefront of your mind. Please take them to heart; these points are CRITICAL.

No mistakes. Always be sure and in control. Follow the principle of 100% correct practice: to make a mistake is to learn incorrect things, and to confuse that which you already know.

Slower is faster. Speed comes from certainty. The more you type things correctly, no matter how slow it has to be, the more certain you will be, and the faster you will become a proficient typist. Increase speed only when you feel sure enough to do so.

Don't look at the keyboard! If you don't know where a key is, look at the keyboard to find it, then look away and type the key. Do not guess; always be sure.

Relax. No unnecessary or dysfunctional tension!

Hit the keys squarely in the center. If you find you aren't consistently doing so, SLOW DOWN!!! It should feel good to type!

---------------------------------------------

Last edited by keyboard samurai (04-Dec-2007 18:33:55)

The "beautiful typing" school is one school, and afaik not the only one. I do believe in this method, but I also believe that other ways may lead to the goal in an equally satisfactory manner - it'll depend on your personality and preferences. I have also heard schools leaning to a speed philosophy, meaning that you should actually strive to type so fast that you make, say, 4% errors! These philosophies are widely different, yet I think that they may both be right for someone. You'll have to choose I guess.

I play the piano myself, so I know the "slow and perfect" way. I haven't learnt typing that way though.

It could be that a combination of different training styles could be good. I know that my game uses that.

The points on tension and hitting the centers are dead on no matter what.

Last edited by DreymaR (04-Dec-2007 21:15:18)

wussboy- I have a feeling I'm going to be really grumpy after switching, like you said. thanks for the encouragement!

keyboard samurai- I have to switch to something smoother and more effective (which the QWERTY keyboards are not). I also hit the capslock button quite often which is quite annoying ESPECIALLY when your typing at the speeds I am I'll be done with a whole sentence before my brain realizes that the caps was on the whole time. Its just a bothersome thing that I add to the basket of "why I hate QWERTY".

I also believe in 100% accuracy i have a habit of automatically hitting the backspace key when a mistake is make. I had a teacher in the second grade who tried to tell us to type without the backspace and would physically remove the key from are keyboards. I topped out in that class at 30 WPM, but once I started teaching myself I was able to hit 60 WPM at around 3rd grade. Those rules
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Here are the most important things that you, as your own self-coach, must always keep in the forefront of your mind. Please take them to heart; these points are CRITICAL.

No mistakes. Always be sure and in control. Follow the principle of 100% correct practice: to make a mistake is to learn incorrect things, and to confuse that which you already know.

Slower is faster. Speed comes from certainty. The more you type things correctly, no matter how slow it has to be, the more certain you will be, and the faster you will become a proficient typist. Increase speed only when you feel sure enough to do so.

Don't look at the keyboard! If you don't know where a key is, look at the keyboard to find it, then look away and type the key. Do not guess; always be sure.

Relax. No unnecessary or dysfunctional tension!

Hit the keys squarely in the center. If you find you aren't consistently doing so, SLOW DOWN!!! It should feel good to type!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I 100% agree with this. Some very good advice that i'll try to remember. I sometimes have issues with the "Relax. No uncecessary or dysfunctional tension!" you know how it can be quite frustrating.

DreymaR- Hopefully I wont be going par 20 WPM for longer than a month that I'm sorry to say would make a hard push on me to give up which I truly do not want to do. I'm surprised that schools actually want you to make errors but you never know certain people need certain styles mine just happens to be the whole cheese or non at all : /

Thank you all for the encouragement! I plan on switching this weekend and get grinding away at learning it!

Last edited by R4nd0m-Pr0 (05-Dec-2007 04:46:02)

Best of luck!

About the tension: As a singer, I learnt how to increase control of my laryngeal tension which easily appears when singing high and/or technically difficult passages. What I have done is to create what amounts almost to a mantra: When I think this word inside me, my whole face goes slack and all tension vanishes. The trick to this is to note a state of mind and focus on the effects you wish to create while connecting to this state of mind. I used a word as a "state trigger" which isn't uncommon with this technique.

The "mantra" will remove your tension. Now, the real trick is of course to prevent tension from happening at all but to do that you need to first control it.

And no, I don't think you'll stay under 20 WPM for more than half a month tops given a little dedication. Look at how well Ryan Heise did for instance:
    http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak/

I see only one thing motivating you: Annoyance at inadvertently hitting Caps Lock, which is not a very good reason to switch to Colemak.  It is very easy to either disable Caps Lock and map it to another function, without having to go through an entire layout overhaul.

I was thinking the same thing.  Imagine how annoying it would be if the Caps Lock was a Delete/backspace key and you were it hitting it by mistake all the time. 

108 WPM with 0% errors is phenomenal.

Of course if you can repeat what Ryan did more power to you!

kbs

Last edited by keyboard samurai (05-Dec-2007 20:17:16)

ds26gte and keyboard samurai: I could have sworn I gave my other reason, aparently not. Well I'm also experience the begginings of carpal tunnel syndrome...so I have to switch (also doctor recommended). People say 108 is phenominal but you basically can't get very much faster in QWERTY just because its so ineffective (unless you just do it constantly). The pay in some jobs can average from 20-2000 dollars a month more if I improve my speed to 135+ which is also a very positive reason for me to switch. Its either C or D and C appeals to me more.

Last edited by R4nd0m-Pr0 (07-Dec-2007 01:31:47)

hey R4nd0m-Pr0
    I swapped about 3 weeks ago (from being a QWERTY hunt and peck typer) because of CTS, I have noticed a distinct improvement in my CTS even in that short amount of time.
    the first week is frustrating but well worth the effort.

Ah!  sounds like strong reasons to motivate  !     

The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating -- in work, in play, in love.
    - ANNE MORRISS