• You are not logged in.

My (simplified) extended mode

• Started by bmx007
    • 3 Replies:

It's been over a month since I've discovered DreymaR extended mode and started using it after modifying it slightly.
    In fact I only uses a few keys (the one I modified) but it works really well. For peoples who don't know what the extended mod is, is just having custom mapping
    by pressing the caps-lock key.
    As a vim user I basically just need some qwerty back to their normal position.
    What I've done is remap the cursor key to their vim equivalent so the first row becomes

left down up right : backspace
          h     n    e   i      o  '   (colemak)
          h     j     k   u     ;   '  (qwerty)

I also added page up and page down to L and U (U and I in qwerty), but I never use them.

You could try it There. This is a fork from DreymaR big bag of tricks.
    (It's a bit ugly, I just modified the normal extended file to my need instead of creating a new one). To try it, please read DreymaR documentation.

Last edited by bmx007 (28-Apr-2017 18:22:14)

I advice that you make your own file, unless you're a big fan of selecting with the GUI. Your fork will suffer when my repo gets updated. If you use setxkbmap, using your own file is as easy as using mine.

Your mod seems a bit messy to me, but if it works for you then have fun! :-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I agree this is a bit dirty, but I dont' really have time to do a full remapping, as I only needed a few keys in their qwerty position.
    About making another file, I'm not sure how I could select my own extended mode using `setxbd` script.

Extend is an option, so yes, I see that it's a bit tricky. I've added the 'misc:extend' entries to the rule files so it's selectable. I suppose the easiest way for you is to edit my file then, short of making additional rule entries.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***