• You are not logged in.

Trouble with Multilingual on Windows

• Started by Emirc
    • 4 Replies:

Hi all,

I've been using colemak for a few weeks now. 90% of the time I spend on my computer is on the OS Fedora, but occasionally I go on Windows. On Fedora, I can easily type all the multilingual characters, but on Windows, AltGr+d is simply like pressing Tab - the cursor is moved to the next text box, if applicable. Either way - AltGr+d doesn't work. AltGr opens the bookmarks tab in Firefox, etc.

Is there any way that I can change the hotkeys, perhaps on Windows or for colemak? Or is there something that I'm doing wrong?

Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

• Shai
    • Administrator

What version of Windows are you using?
    Are there any characters that do work correctly with the AltGr key?
    Does it just behave exactly like Ctrl?
    What version of Colemak installation are you using? Did you try with the other version?
    Try also closing down all the applications, because some applications take over some hotkeys.
    You can also try to see if the same problem happens in safe mode or not.

I'm on Windows XP.
    No, no other characters work correctly. I have tried a great many and in several different programs.
    No, not exactly like Ctrl, but exactly like the left Alt key.
    I am using Colemak version 1.0 (2006-01-01), and have not tried with any other versions.
    I currently have open only two programs, so I don't think that's the issue (although, who knows what else Windows is running in the background and without my knowledge?)
    How can I toggle this "safe mode?"

Thank you much for your help.

• Shai
    • Administrator

Try running the file "i386\Clear remapping.reg" and reboot, and see if it helps.
    Then check if you also have the same problem when you try using another keyboard layout that has AltGr keys, such as "United States-International". If other keyboard don't work it might be a problem with your keyboard.

Hey - I got it to work. What I did was select the keyboard setting to, as you said, "United States-International." Then it's the same as when colemak wasn't installed: ' + a = á; " + a = ä, etc.

Thanks for all your help.