• You are not logged in.

New to colemak

• Started by abhixec
    • 2 Replies:

hi all,
    I am new to colemak and I have a problem. I went cold turkey and I seem to be typing the 'o' key alot and that is giving me some pain on that finger. Is that expected  initially??
    Or am I doing something wrong?

I've heard of similar experiences. I think it's mostly some tension while learning. I'm sure it'll pass.

If you wish to place less strain on the right pinky, I can recommend a Wide mod to start with – see my Big Bag topics. This places less keys under the right pinky's command, and also makes the stretches to Enter shorter.

Other good tricks is the Colemak Backspace on the former Caps key, which puts strain off the right pinky. But personally, I like to use that key for Extend which puts the Backspace role back on the right pinky (but without any stretches).

Extend may help anyway, as it delegates Enter to the thumb and lets the pinky work without so much stretching.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

I've heard of similar experiences. I think it's mostly some tension while learning. I'm sure it'll pass.

If you wish to place less strain on the right pinky, I can recommend a Wide mod to start with – see my Big Bag topics. This places less keys under the right pinky's command, and also makes the stretches to Enter shorter.

Other good tricks is the Colemak Backspace on the former Caps key, which puts strain off the right pinky. But personally, I like to use that key for Extend which puts the Backspace role back on the right pinky (but without any stretches).

Extend may help anyway, as it delegates Enter to the thumb and lets the pinky work without so much stretching.

that is reassuring.  hopefully I can get past this pain phase fast.