• You are not logged in.

How to type Hey

• Started by chivinou
    • 3 Replies:

Hi,

Sorry this is more related to touch typing in general than to Colemak but this is the only place I can think of where to ask this!

I am considering switching to colemak for the ergonomic benefits.  Right now I type fast enough on qwerty but I tend to move my hands a lot, (i.e.  not use the proper touch typing positions), and am developing some wrist pain.  I did the exercises from the lessons etc and I think I can see the advantage.  However now that I try to leave my fingers on the same positions all the time I realize I am having a problem with some of the key combinations, specifically something like "EY" or "SW" (on Colemak, or KO/DW on qwerty), basically anything that involves moving the middle and the ring finger independently.  In my old typing style I would move the whole hand and type the "KO" with the index and middle finger but like I said I am trying to switch to a proper technique.  After 2 days of trying to learn Colemak and touch typing these stretches have put me in much more pain than when I started!  What I don't know is if that is a "growing pain" that comes from the moves I am not accustomed to or if it is a sign that I am doing something wrong :)

Has anyone experienced such problems when switching from a "free-form" touch-typing to a fixed position typing?  If so what did you do about it?

Thanks

You could well experience some transition problems, since your fingers may not have had a chance to develop strength and independency. This is something all "finger athletes" need to train, whether they are musicians, stage magicians or speed typists.

The worst problems over time shouldn't be combinations of ring and middle finger as much as digraphs using one of them (WR, YI etc.). These are difficult no matter what - luckily Shai has given digraphs much thought and the ones that do feel awkward should be infrequent ones. At least, being rare they will not significantly hurt your speed.

If you do not learn how to relax most of the muscles that aren't directly involved in a movement however, you may develop problems over time.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Shai
    • Administrator

If for example you want to type "ey", you can move both fingers to their respective position at the same time, and then hit the keys in order, that way you don't have to stretch your ring finger.

Shai: Given that the E finger is already in place and the Y finger will have to stretch to reach the top row, I didn't understand that. Could you explain it to me please?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***