• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • The Colemak Keyboard: Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven

The Colemak Keyboard: Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven

• Started by Jesus
    • 24 Replies:

Today is Good Friday 2017 and I feel like I've been crucified.  After forty+ years of typing on a Dvorak keyboard I made the decision to start typing in Colemak beginning with this post. Needless to say it is hard.  But, it is for a greater cause; creating the kingdom of heaven.

The first thing that you probably noticed about me was my user name: Jesus.  I am known around the world, especially to millions of Howard Stern fans, as Black Jesus for having broken into Ronald Reagan's retirement home on July Fourth of 1990.  Ronald Reagan was/is the Antichrist.  I am the second coming of Christ.  Whether you believe me or not is not important.  The important thing is that my story makes for great press, television and radio feature stories.  Changing the world's keyboards from QWERTY to Colemak is a goal that I've set for myself.

The first thing that I did when I joined this forum was to do a search for the word economics.  It came back with zero results.  Then I did a search for the word economic.  That search returned four results.  At that point I knew that with your help this is going to be easy.  The macro economics of changing the world's keyboards from QWERTY to Colemak, especially via Tarmak, are so skewed in its favor that it is a no-brainer.  My job is to present those figures to the world at large in a manner that makes sense.

But economics is simply the benefit for switching.  I'm playing hardball.  The reason that we will switch is because at this point in time IT IS A CRIME (Tort) TO TEACH SOMEONE TO TOUCH TYPE IN QWERTY.  This is not wishful thinking.  A look at the Maltron keyboard legal section will point out the reasons.  In fact, were it not for the Kinesis Advantage keyboard option for Colemak, along with Tarmak and the ridiculously needless high price I would throw my weight behind Maltron.

All things considered Colemak is the way to go.  It won't take a miracle but it will create one.  Imagine a world where everything is done faster. without injury to the worker all at a negative cost. (We are losing trillions of dollars every year as a direct cost of QWERTY.)  Sound Heavenly?  It Is.  The Colemak keyboard truly does contain the keys of kingdom of Heaven.

Watch for the new book: "The Colemak Keyboard Miracle - Why Jesus came back with priceless keyboard keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. (Matthew 16:19)" Coming Fall 2017: http://Jesus.bio

Amen to that. Its an Easter miracle.

Meanwhile, in another fandom:

BoardWarsCrawl.jpg?dl=1

;-)

(DISCLAIMER: The above graphic is not intended to offend, but merely to advertise in a fun way!)

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Apr-2017 12:27:47)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Just when I discover Jesus does Dvorak, he levitates towards Colemak!

What say you try Colemak before getting behind it?

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Pinkyache, you're so Old Testament. ;-)

I am not into Colemak to benefit myself.  I am in it for the masses.  The underlying economics behind switching from QWERTY to Dvorak or QWERTY to Colemak are basically the same.  It is in the making of the actual changeover for everyone where Tarmak makes all the difference.

Watch for the new book: "The Colemak Keyboard Miracle - Why Jesus came back with priceless keyboard keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. (Matthew 16:19)" Coming Fall 2017: http://Jesus.bio

I think there's economy in changing fewer keys (as long as their placement is adequate in the first place), as it leads to fewer/shorter transition steps. It's been debated, but I also believe that relearning the whole layout at once is easier with the QWERTY → Colemak transition vs QWERTY → Dvorak. So I disagree that the underlying economics of the two switches are basically the same. As far as hardware is concerned, sure, but brainware is more expensive anyways these days.

Last edited by DreymaR (27-Apr-2017 11:26:44)

DreymaR = When I spoke about economics I was referring to macro economics: the amount saved by society as a whole.  Remember, my mission is to see to it that Colemak becomes the standard keyboard for everyone.  And, this is a valid concern regardless of the future of speech recognition.

I'm seeing a clear link between economy in switching pains and macro economy! We're talking about getting lots of people to switch layout, and the costs are going to come out of their time budgets. Time is money, as we all know. Furthermore, if selling the layout switch is to be at all successful it'll have to be as nice as possible. Again, a protracted layout war is going to be costly in macro economic terms.

So to me, economy equals economy in this matter.

DreymaR.  No arguement intended.  Obviously Colemak wins in every regard when it comes to switching.  When I began my campaign to clear up the QWERTY mess Colemak wasn't even invented.  I spoke about the QWERTY situation on the Howard Stern Show in February of 2011 and at that point in time the only alternative that I knew about was Dvorak.  Then about three months later somewhere I heard that somebody was using a Kinesis - Colemak. (it may have been you)  I asked them what Colemak was and they seemed shocked to hear that I'd never heard about it.  Since then I've studied the situatioin and being as some layout has to stop the QWERTY mess I chose to promote Colemak.  I am currently working on a lawsuit that involves product liability.

Wasn't me, as I've never even tried a Kinesis. I have a Unicomp Model M type board, and type mostly on my ThinkPad. So for me it's been about making the best out of the existing hardware.

If I were to buy myself something expensive now, it might be a DataHand.

Last edited by DreymaR (08-May-2017 11:10:55)

Colemak was most likely a hack to make typing on traditional Qwerty style boards easier/better.  I personally think that these boards are the crux of the problem, or rather they don't help.  Any radical departure doesn't seem to take off that well.  Kinesis advantage looks to be a nice design, but heavily leans on Maltron.  And it's interesting to see that Maltron after going after a different physical approach to keys and layout, also binned Qwerty in favour of their own in house layout.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Pairing improved hardware with an improved layout in itself seems like a no-brainer. The people who want to invest good money in one, are more likely to also invest time in the other.

However, trying to sell the two as a package becomes harder than necessary. So Maltron didn't take off. Nowadays, you might sell, say a DataHand with preinstalled choices between QWERTY, Dvorak, Colemak and Colemak-Curl (if that is a good thing for the DataHand?) for instance. That'd be nice as you wouldn't need additional devices/installs when lugging it around. However, trying to sell it with only one improved layout preinstalled would almost certainly fail.

Last edited by DreymaR (18-May-2017 13:49:33)

Have you seen the kinesis advantage 2? Is this a new bit of kit or has it been around for a while?

I'm of the opinion recently that keyboards are good enough and that a more ergonomic alternative isn't worth losing the ability to touch type on laptops or other peoples machines

I also probably wouldn't reccomend colemak over qwerty for similar reasons, but I'm too far down the line now to retreat

I don't have regrets, but at the same time I wouldn't be sad not to have gone down this route

In other words, both qwerty and normal rubber domes are fit(ish) for purpose

For me, there isn't an obvious win between making typing more ergonomic/efficient and losing the 'same hardware/layout as everything else' benefit

Thats coming from someone who never suffered RSI though..

Majority of people start to care about ergonomic keyboard or layout only after RSI hits them.
    Regarding ability to touch type on laptops, many mech keyboard enthusiasts use their keyboard of choice sitting on the top of laptop's keyboard.
    Personally I do not see benefits from ability to touch type using standard keyboard and qwerty if you can touch type in ergonomic keyboard and layout, unless you forced to use qwerty at job. Touch typing itself is stressful enough for hands, so there is no reason to aggravate that.

Last edited by ckofy (21-May-2017 02:32:41)

I had a Kinesis-Dvorak for about four years, before it got stolen.  It takes quite some time to get back up to speed, but once you do there is nothing quite like it.  It is a pleasure.  My speed went up dramatically and talk about comfort.  Once I get this Colemak layout mastered I am going to get another Kinesis.  After I first learned on the  Kinesis switching between Kinesis-Dvorak and QWERTY-based-Dvorak was not a problem. 

Today I started searching for a lawyer to take on the QWERTY class action law suit.  I have a couple of good angles based on product liability.  As the QWERTY keyboard was not designed for touch typing it may mean going after anyone who teaches you how to touch type on a QWERTY.  This is based on the legal principle of Warranty which demands that a product be safe for its end use.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the QWERTY keyboard when it is used as it was designed to be used; by two fingered typists looking at the keys while they type.  It is ONLY when touch typing enters the picture that it becomes a physical hazard.  Therefore manufacturers have a duty to warn against its use in that manner.  And it is a tort to teach someone to use it that way.  At least that is my argument.  I feel that is the best way to open the door for an alternative.  I am betting that the Colemak-Tarmak system will win the battle of alternates.

Jesus said:

Today I started searching for a lawyer to take on the QWERTY class action law suit.  I have a couple of good angles based on product liability.  As the QWERTY keyboard was not designed for touch typing it may mean going after anyone who teaches you how to touch type on a QWERTY.  This is based on the legal principle of Warranty which demands that a product be safe for its end use.

Wow! It is USA, everything is possible.

Jesus said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the QWERTY keyboard when it is used as it was designed to be used; by two fingered typists looking at the keys while they type.  It is ONLY when touch typing enters the picture that it becomes a physical hazard.

Absolutely agree. That is why I refused to learn touch typing in qwerty.

I have a nagging feeling that it won't be easy to corroborate the claims sufficiently to stand up in a court of law.

But then again, just stirring up the pot will create publicity which is A Good Thing! ;-)

Jesus said something like: Absolutely nothing wrong with Qwerty for two fingered typing.

I was late to touch typing, and there was something about my look and peck typing weirdness that certainly got me into bad physical positions, that didn't help my shoulder/neck.  That's why out of desperation I picked up Dvorak and started to touch type.  And that hasn't been the heavenly panacea that I'd hoped for either.  I still have aches and pains.  Having said that my approach to typing could be utterly wrong.  I can't remember any ergonomic advice from my brief introduction to touch typing at school (UK).  And when I was starting out touch typing with Dvorak, I found it very difficult to find a good instructional video that covered a basic ergonomic approach.

I don't think I have ever gotten a manual with a keyboard too.

Last edited by pinkyache (23-May-2017 09:55:41)

--

davkol said:
    DreymaR said:

But then again, just stirring up the pot will create publicity which is A Good Thing! ;-)

Yeah, cool. Now Colemak will be associated with a troll that makes people's lives annoying. *slowclap*

You know, at some thoughts, I personally do not care what Colemak may be associated with. Major issue is that it is not known. I found Colemak accidentally while it existed for ten years to that moment. I kind of interested in alternative layouts, but for my knowledge there was always only one existed - Dvorak.
    Most people do not know even about Dvorak. Most people do not bother in that matter, and will never bother. There is no method to convince these people that changing their keyboard's layout make sense, while they use keyboard every day. Any "stirring up the pot" will be for better.
    Though any efforts in this direction will cause annoyance, because this will be considered like proposing improved alphabet.

Last edited by ckofy (26-May-2017 22:38:49)

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” This one?
    IMO the situation with keyboards is different, overwelming majority of people do not want "faster" keyboard, and,honestly, they do not care.
    My colegues know about my hobby in Colemak and ergonomic/mechanical keyboards. They show just polite interest, not asking any questions (that means no interest for me), nobody planning to change anything. While the keyboard drawers and standing desks became more popular in the office and people get more concerned about ergonomic of their workplaces, nobody does any changes to their keyboards or mice.
    I've told to my brother one day regarding the Colemak and keyboards. He was absolutely unaware of anything in this area. To my remark that "yes, it is probably 95% of people do not care about what they typing on", he did correction, that on his humble opinion, there are 99.99% of people do not care about that.

Colemak is merely a better ergonomic data entry layout for a mechanical printing apparatus that was state of the art in 1873. In a perfect world we'd all be using Maltron.  I am promoting Colemak-Kinesis for pros, PKL USBs for the transition period and dual labeling as the immediate standard.

The term "PKL USBs" confused me at first. :-)

I use a USB-2-USB converter (QUICKIE) to get Colemak-CAW-Extend on several of my work computers, because of a strict IT policy. I suppose you mean PKL on a USB storage drive; I'd just say "PKL" then as obviously you can have it wherever you like. My main PKL is on my laptop's HDD.

Since I use a further ergo modded Colemak variant, I'm no big fan of dual labeling. Rather, I'd like swappable key caps to be the standard. Then you can set up your key caps as suits you. But for Colemak to succeed I realize that dual labeling would be beneficial. It's a bit of a conundrum...

One of the benefits of PKL and the like is the ability to show help images for the layout and shift state you're currently using.

Last edited by DreymaR (08-Jun-2017 11:07:28)

Have no fear Wonderful is here.  Yesterday I registered a patent application on a keyboard that features Colemak and that I will produce in mass Quantity.  Its main feature is a numerical keypad in telephone order. one to nine from the top down. I plan on donating 10 percent of the proceeds to Shai and five percent to the team that developed Tarmak.  I will let DreymaR determine who is to get a share of the five percent.

To see the Specifications as taken from the patent application visit BestComputerKeyboards.com

Indeed. I'm guessing he took a good long nap, stood up on the third day and had forgotten all about it. ;-)

• Index
      • General
      • The Colemak Keyboard: Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven