• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • I gotta do something with Chinese pinyin...

I gotta do something with Chinese pinyin...

• Started by sensui
    • 10 Replies:

I have used colemak some days, I am a native Chinese programmer, I really enjoy colemak when type code or English,  I did not type Chinese too much, if does, most of time on my phone ( still qwerty).

Today, I was trying to write something long in Chinese on computer , and god,  my right hand is..., and my whole body leaned to right without attentions.

I had already known that right hand would be heavilly used before I decided to use colemak, But I did not realize it is toooooo heavy, many chinese pinyin have double vowel,

ao, au.ai,
    ei, 
    ia, ie, iu, 
    ou,
    ua, ue, uo....

and pinyin don't have too much consecutive consonants, and other letters, l, j, y, also at right, so my right hand will got at lease 2 times than left, 2-4,times maybe.

I got to do something,
    1. Back to qwerty, belive it or not, any new design layout for English not comfortable to Chinese.
    2. Learn to use other IME other than pinyin...

Colemak is designed for English, nobody denies that. That depends of how much you should type is English vs Pinyin. I'm Russian, but I type in Russian from my smartphone mostly where I use native йцукен layout, and I use fonetic Colemak at computer, but not often. Having different layouts for different languages is ok, I do not think you should modify Colemak to make it equally good (or equally bad?) for English and pinyin.

The best way as I see it, is to make certain minor tweaks to Colemak, so you can maintain two versions that are almost the same and just switch between them.

Maybe for Pinyin, the biggest problem will be the right-hand-only diphtongs. Particularly ei/ie, iu, uo/ou and ue(!) look taxing. So... what to do?

One thing I do for locale layouts, is to remap the brackets and VK_102 to locale glyphs. While I realize that you're a programmer and may not like to delegate your brackets to AltGr, I think this solution in general works well for me who both write English, my own language (Norwegian) and code. However, adding vowel duplicates to these keys, while elegant and not ruining Colemak itself, doesn't seem to be of much help for the problem at hand?

Adding digraphs is an interesting thought. But not all platforms support them; I don't think MSKLC can do it out-of-the-box although I think it's possible if you edit and compile the files yourself. In Linux/XKB and PKL it's similarly challenging. However, I envision making intuitive diphtong mappings on the AltGr layer. I think that could be nice.

Proposed AltGr digraphs for a more ergonomic Pinyin Colemak layout:
    EI = AltGr+I
    IE = AltGr+E
    IU = AltGr+Y
    UO = AltGr+O
    OU = AltGr+U
    UE = AltGr+N (or H?)

...utilizing six good key positions that are easily combined with AltGr, in a mostly intuitive way.

Of course, if mnemonics aren't so important it might be smarter to use left-hand AltGr mappings. Depends on how comfy you are with chording. But in general, the thumbs are strong so they'll serve you well in this.

Using AltGr well is easier if you use a Wide mod. I also like having the brackets alias locale glyphs in the middle too, again using the Wide mod. This puts them slightly out of the way, but at the same time they're serviced by the strong and dexterous index fingers and there's some flexibility as to which hand to use for them.

But how to implement this idea? Hmmm...!

Last edited by DreymaR (12-May-2017 15:02:38)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

The best way as I see it, is to make certain minor tweaks to Colemak, so you can maintain two versions that are almost the same and just switch between them.

Maybe for Pinyin, the biggest problem will be the right-hand-only diphtongs. Particularly ei/ie, iu, uo/ou and ue(!) look taxing. So... what to do?

One thing I do for locale layouts, is to remap the brackets and VK_102 to locale glyphs. While I realize that you're a programmer and may not like to delegate your brackets to AltGr, I think this solution in general works well for me who both write English, my own language (Norwegian) and code. However, adding vowel duplicates to these keys, while elegant and not ruining Colemak itself, doesn't seem to be of much help for the problem at hand?

Adding digraphs is an interesting thought. But not all platforms support them; I don't think MSKLC can do it out-of-the-box although I think it's possible if you edit and compile the files yourself. In Linux/XKB and PKL it's similarly challenging. However, I envision making intuitive diphtong mappings on the AltGr layer. I think that could be nice.

Proposed AltGr digraphs for a more ergonomic Pinyin Colemak layout:
    EI = AltGr+I
    IE = AltGr+E
    IU = AltGr+Y
    UO = AltGr+O
    OU = AltGr+U
    UE = AltGr+N (or H?)

...utilizing six good key positions that are easily combined with AltGr, in a mostly intuitive way.

Of course, if mnemonics aren't so important it might be smarter to use left-hand AltGr mappings. Depends on how comfy you are with chording. But in general, the thumbs are strong so they'll serve you well in this.

Using AltGr well is easier if you use a Wide mod. I also like having the brackets alias locale glyphs in the middle too, again using the Wide mod. This puts them slightly out of the way, but at the same time they're serviced by the strong and dexterous index fingers and there's some flexibility as to which hand to use for them.

But how to implement this idea? Hmmm...!

Thanks for your ideas, I am not familiar with AltGr.
    now  I got a solution, I just go to learn a new input method,  I must be out of my mind, first I switch to a new keyboard layout, before experienced, I use it to type new input method...

Here is what I made, I copied an existing input schema to Colemak with a little tweaking.

7d82771ely1ffizmsl7i8j20ns096gm9.jpg

I must be crazy, type like a baby...

Nice! Now, remember to also learn Colemak-Curl(DH) while you're at it! :-p

Wow it's nice to see another Chinese user here!
    I'm also native Chinese speaker switching to Colemak recently, just reaching the 50~60 wpm mark now. For me the added complexity is that I'm switching to an ErgoDox EZ at the same time, and DreymaR's extended layer gave me so many ideas that I just HAD TO play around with it way too much:) Currently I'm using a heavily optimized layout with 2 extended layers (http://configure.ergodox-ez.com/keyboar … xjxvo/edit), it's pretty crazy, might be the 50th revision or something like that.
    If you don't consider all the specific features or constraints of the ErgoDox, such as limited number of keys, thumbkeys, dual-function keys etc., all my letter positions are just plain Colemak-DBGHK mode.
    The experience I had with typing Chinese (quanpin) is actually quite interesting - it's far more fluid than I expected, I found that I don't mind the vowel rolls at all, quite on the contrary! I actually managed to get back to reasonable speed earlier in Chinese that I did in English, but I guess that's because of the pauses in selecting words account for so much in Chinese input that the "raw" speed matter less...
    @Sensui: do you feel it's worth it to start learning ShuangPin with Colemak? I briefly considered the option but that would require me to go through a lot of trial and error to find meaningful layout, so it might be a bit too much for me to stomach. What's your experience so far?

Ne hao! Wo ai ZhongGuo ren! ^_^

Nice keyboard! With that matrix setup, you might consider using the new Curl(DH) mod instead though, as it's even friendlier I think.

Your Extend layers are nice. What's that key under the NumPad, a repeat key? If so, you might want that on a thumb key in all layers as a same-finger-bigram killer! ^_^ I need zeros under both the 1 and 2 NumPad keys, to emulate the fat zero on the physical NumPad; this helps when typing many zeros or the common 01/10 and 02/02 combos. But with a repeat key, much of that need is filled.

I've kept that nav/edit block on the left side of the NumPad layer because number entry usually requires some movement around table cells and the like. Maybe you're fine with changing layers to do that though; I thought that seemed too bothersome. The left-hand navigation works fine, but takes some getting used to.

For the symbol block on the left hand of the NumPad layout, it probably works well for you but for me it looks unintuitive and would take some learning. What I would do, is to relate it to the number block so that symbols are on the keys corresponding to the number keys on the right hand, according to the normal Shift+# mappings! So on the keys corresponding to 123 456 789 0-+ on a NumPad, I'd put !@# $%^ &*()-+ to make it really easy to remember for other people!

Some frequently used symbols deserve to be nearby when entering number, so I've added the colon close to my number block for instance. But for speed numeric entry, it's better to have it like your blocks with the symbols on the left hand I think! Unless one wants that hand for navigation like I do, of course...

My plan has been to put symbols and such on the third Extend layer and shortstrings on the fourth. Unfortunately, those layers don't exist yet. ;-)

Last edited by DreymaR (15-May-2017 14:09:01)

Hi DreymaR,

really great to have your input!
    Not sure about all the terminology anymore, what is the Curl(DH) mod? And did I correctly refer to my current one as DBGHK?;)
    OK, let me also explain a bit the rationales behind my layout.
    First of all, on layer 0, the keys under V and M are my temporary layer switches, hold the key down (left and right thumb) and everything switches to layer 1 and 2 respectively. So no repeaters, sorry;)

One important factor in designing my layout is the balancing of hands. There are things I want to be able to do single-handedly, such as the F2-F11 (for Total commander/Midnight commander) can easily be access by left hand only, and the numpad can be accessed by using right hand only.

But when I'm really writing stuff, I have both my hands on the keyboard anyway, so spreading things out would be more efficient, that's why I copied your Extend layer - Ctrl/Shft + NAV keys on the home row is pure genius and such an eye opener, I'm forever in your debts for that!

You're quite right in pointing out that my layout might not be the most efficient for Excel work - that's a compromise with the above factor in mind. And it's better than one might think, as switching layers on the fly with both thumbs has already become second nature for me (and killing me when I'm on a different keyboard>:().
    I don't use numbers a lot, mostly when I'm inputing Chinese (1/2/3 are covered by space/lshft/rshft in the input method, so I mostly start with 4 and above).

I also agree that my symbol layer is anything but "intuitive", it took me ages to reach this setting, which finally feels kinda natural (and logical, go figure) to me. My most used one is just the left home row, anything else is just a bonus.

I make extensive usage of the dual-function feature of ErgoDox, which means a key is a modifier while held down, but sends a normal key while tapped on. For example, my T and N (left/right index) also work as CTRL, it gives me all kinds of freedom for shortcuts. Think C+S, C+W, C+Z etc., one can easily get creative here. Sometimes I have so many ways for the same shortcuts it's almost dazzling:D
    Sadly, I tried the same with the Shift but it doesn't work that well, because we need Shift WAY more often than we think and one timing mistake here can revert a lot of efficiency gains, so in the end I ended up using plain Shift keys.

Since I like to throw Windows around a lot in both Win10 and Linux i3wm, you see the WIN key and the WIN+SHFT as combined modifier all over the place to accomodate a lot of fancy shortcuts.

When I first received the ErgoDox, I changed layout around 10 times or more a day:D Now I've gone 2-3 weeks without major revisions anymore, so I guess I'm more or less settled. But my biggest challenge is having a soft version of something resembling my layout for my new laptop, for the times where I HAVE TO work on my lap without the ErgoDox!

By the way, how would I change your PKL files (currently using a modified version of vk_TarmakCurlK5Colemak_ISO) so that the left Alt can work as Extend instead of CAPSLOCK?
    I tried to just change the setting in the layout.ini, but it seems that makes ALT to work as BOTH ALT and EXTEND at the same time?
    For the soft layer, I think replicating the 1st layer is enough, I have a numpad on the laptop anyway so that'd be redundant.

Awesome idea about the dual-role T/N-Ctrl keys! Good thinking!

I'm not sure Alt as Extend will work smoothly for you; I've had some troubles. But to try it, you have to both set the Alt key as your Extend key at the top (which i suppose you did), and define but unmap it below – see how it's done for the CapsLock key in my layout files. That should work.

To learn about the new unified Curl(DH) mod (which swaps DV and HM from my old one, or MK from SteveP's old one if you like), read my Big Bag topics again. They're updated now. Let me know if anything is unclear! :-)

Cmk-ISO-CurlAWide_90d_FShui.png?dl=1

On a side note: The colour scheme for this image is inspired by Feng Shui! I call it FingerShui. Can you figure out the meanings? ;-) It's missing the lowest row (Space and modifiers) which is golden yellow in this scheme.

Last edited by DreymaR (16-May-2017 10:38:56)

Thanks a lot, it works fine after the remap.
    I think I've hijacked this thread long enough, hope the OP wouldn't mind, I'll keep this the place for Chinese related questions and put my further comment to your Big Bag thread!

n3p3nth3 said:

Thanks a lot, it works fine after the remap.
    I think I've hijacked this thread long enough, hope the OP wouldn't mind, I'll keep this the place for Chinese related questions and put my further comment to your Big Bag thread!

Sorry for the late reply, I had something to do recently,  I agree the DH mod would be more nice to pinyin. But I will just stick to the original one.
    For shuangpin , I think it is worth to use, but these schemes are all designed for qwerty, and I have not used it too much, so... I am still testing....

• Index
      • General
      • I gotta do something with Chinese pinyin...