• You are not logged in.

Chudini's journey

• Started by Chudini
    • 19 Replies:

Hi guys,

Beforehand I was using QWERTY since over 10 years. 5 years ago I started learning 10 fingers typing. My qwerty max speed is 89 WPM. Average ~70 WPM.
    I started using Colemak Polish layout without Caps 4 days ago. I am trying to use Colemak at home and in work. I sometimes use qwerty if I have to type smth fast, but its like 95% Colemak and 5% qwerty.

I was using firstly typing.com and learncolemak.com. Now I switched to 10fastfingers.com, because I can see progress clearly.
    I am windows user.

First three days were hard. 10 - 15 WPM and big problems with memorizing layout. Today I noticed improvements: 22 WPM max speed. 
    It is just beginning.

Started touch typing using Colemak layout 25 VII 2017.
    https://10fastfingers.com/user/1420182/

Welcome! Hope you get lots of joy from your Colemak switch, like I and many others have.

Don't hesitate to ask if you wonder about something. Maybe you want to try out Extend too, for instance?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR, you sounds like a gateway drug dealer :~0

Last edited by ckofy (29-Jul-2017 02:48:14)
    DreymaR said:

Welcome! Hope you get lots of joy from your Colemak switch, like I and many others have.

Don't hesitate to ask if you wonder about something. Maybe you want to try out Extend too, for instance?

What do you mean by "extend"?

Update:
    Max speed: 30 WPM (without much practice today). Sleep works like magic.
    I switched layout on my mobile to Colemak. I hope that it will help me memorize the layout.

6th day: 39 WPM max. I improved significantly, but my accuracy needs some improvement.

I am a gateway drug dealer! ^_^ Only, my drugs don't make you weak but turn you into a superhero. You do develop addictions, though.

Chudini: Check out my signature topics, everything's explained from there.

PKL_Extend.png?dl=1

Last edited by DreymaR (31-Jul-2017 12:12:36)

7th day: 47 WPM. (46 WPM with 100% acc)

8th day: 56 WPM

DreymaR can I get somewhere curl dh with polish letters on ALTgr + o, e, c, s, n. ?

DreymaR said:

I am a gateway drug dealer! ^_^ Only, my drugs don't make you weak but turn you into a superhero. You do develop addictions, though.

Chudini: Check out my signature topics, everything's explained from there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kukcuvozwh6bt … d.png?dl=1

My own solution for Polish is different, see the Locale topic. But if you rather want to do it that way then feel free.

You are on Windows, you say. So, one way is to make this layout you want with the MSKLC tool, to create a layout install. But to me it's better to use PKL (PortableKeyboardLayout) as described in my Big Bag (PKL) topic. Then you can have Extend and Curl and whatever you like. But we'll have to edit the layout a bit for you.

For instance, in my Colemak[eD] ISO layout for PKL here's the line for the letter E (in layout.ini):

SC026 = E	1	e	E	--	€	↑	; QWERTY kK

So for this key you'll want to add your Polish letters to where I have € and ↑:

SC026 = E	1	e	E	--	ę	Ę	; QWERTY kK

Note, however, that since the acute accent affects many letters it would be better to use a dead key for it! If you want that more accessible I suggest putting it on a bracket or the VK_102 key on your keyboard. That way, you won't have to decide which accent to put on your Zz key either. The dot-above accent is only used for Żż so it'd go nicely on that key.

In my PKL files, the acute dead key is called 'dk15'. So if you put dk15 as an entry somewhere, that key in that shift state will be an acute dead key.

Here's my suggestion: Acute accent on left bracket key, ogonek on right bracket key, Żż on VK_102.

Cmk-eD-pl-usym-aw_Xmc.png?raw=1

I'm putting together a new version of my PKL files these days, with layouts for the new Curl(DH) mod and more. I hope it'll be ready soon.

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Aug-2017 11:27:28)

10th day: 60WPM on basic typing test and 42WPM on advanced one. (Polish mostly). Now I focus on accuracy and more complex words.

15th day: 67 WPM polish on basic typing test, 44WPM on advanced.

16th day: (10FF)
    Polish: basic - 70 WPM, advanced - 52WPM
    English: basic - 52 WPM, advanced - 48WPM

I switched back to QWERTY.
    My personal best increased to (on QWERTY):
    Polish: basic - 101 WPM, advanced - 87 WPM
    English: basic - 99 WPM, advanced - 85 WPM

Why I switched back? Because already there is too much confusion cased by new layout which is everywhere and I already typing very fast. On colemak most used letters are on home row which looks great at first, but then it causes problems with accuracy. On qwerty in almost every word I need to jump with fingers all over the keyboard, but it helps with accuracy in my opinion.

My accuracy with QWERTY vary from 97 to 99%, where in Colemak it is around 90% max I believe. Everything can be learn with practice, but I don't want to wait few years to feel comfortable on it. And same as someone said: If I must work on someone's else computer there will be problems. Another thing is with shortcuts in IDE etc.

Sad to see you leave!

Accuracy stems from mileage, not from having to jump all over the board. You've hardly given it a month from the looks of it, and that's way too short time for most people to develop good accuracy. I think you should be comfortable within half a year at the least, so it's not about "several years" either.

But if your goal is to type fast right now, then sticking with QWERTY will do that for you of course. You'll lose the comfort that Colemak gives in the long run, and maybe even the chance to up your speed a little once you're used to Colemak. But if that's your choice, then best of luck with it.

Most shortcuts are mnemonic anyway. Hitting Ctrl+S to save is pretty much the same thing no matter where the S is located. At first it may not feel that way, I guess.

Last edited by DreymaR (23-Aug-2017 11:03:14)

Chudini said:

I switched back to QWERTY.
    My personal best increased to (on QWERTY):
    Polish: basic - 101 WPM, advanced - 87 WPM
    English: basic - 99 WPM, advanced - 85 WPM

Why I switched back? Because already there is too much confusion cased by new layout which is everywhere and I already typing very fast. On colemak most used letters are on home row which looks great at first, but then it causes problems with accuracy. On qwerty in almost every word I need to jump with fingers all over the keyboard, but it helps with accuracy in my opinion.

My accuracy with QWERTY vary from 97 to 99%, where in Colemak it is around 90% max I believe. Everything can be learn with practice, but I don't want to wait few years to feel comfortable on it. And same as someone said: If I must work on someone's else computer there will be problems. Another thing is with shortcuts in IDE etc.

That is a shame, as it sounds you were making good progress and reaching the point where things should begin to start feeling natural. It does take time for this to happen, and can't be rushed, and in the meantime there are bound to be some teething problems. It shouldn't take years though - certainly you ought to start feeling natural and comfortable after a couple of months or so.

I doubt that Qwerty's poor design helps with accuracy - it's more likely that you are just more used to it. Indeed, imagine if the world already used Colemak. If someone came along and proposed the Qwerty layout to increase accuracy, they would be derided as a lunatic.

But I wonder... having had a taste of how much better things can be, can you really bear the idea of using an inferior layout for the rest of your life?

Last edited by stevep99 (23-Aug-2017 12:21:28)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

haha - 16 days! Nowhere near long enough

phenomenal progress in the time you did allocate though

i'm at 60wpm after *years* but I am currently still suffering a little with the latest DH mods

People have different "inherent typing speeds", depending on their reaction speed, neural setup etc. In addition, people have different layout-independent (or partially dependent) typing skills; most of these will transfer shortly after a layout change.

So it's no simple matter to compare transition speeds. :-)

I'm very well accustomed to my layout now I feel, and yet I struggle to bring my speeds above ≈70 WPM. I want 80 WPM, it's my personal goal. But I cannot achieve that with anywhere near consistency now; it only happens in my perfect typing storms. On the bright side, it used to be ≈50 WPM then ≈60 WPM.

Last edited by DreymaR (24-Aug-2017 08:35:27)

Now I see why all of fastest typists using qwerty. Having a talent in typing they still do not want to do a little effort (compare to overs, who are not so talented) to switch to a new layout. I'm respectful to you that at least you are tried, most of people do not give a shit :)

I agree, it's more motivating to switch layout if you're having real issues like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or abhorrent speed. If you're fast with QWERTY and well accustomed to its warts and twists, it's easier to stay with the evil you know than to put in the effort to get good with something better.

It certainly took me longer than a few weeks. After about 3 months I was up to my QWERTY 80 wpm.  In the last month I'm close to 90.  For me it took 2 months to feel comfortable and 3 months to recover my previous speed.  This is with Colemak-DH.

Last edited by acarlow (15-Sep-2017 01:06:12)