• You are not logged in.

Mod-DH availiable with Android physical keyboard

• Started by stevep99
    • 3 Replies:

This is about physical keyboard hardware connected to an Android device, not the "soft keyboard" that appears on-screen.

I have created configurations for the Mod-DH, and for completeness, vanilla Colemak. ISO/ANSI and wide/non-wide variants are available.

This topic has come up before, e.g. here, but after looking into the subject in more detail, I have found a easier way to support layouts for physical keyboards connected to Android devices. There is an android application (APK) to install in the normal way, which should make the extra keyboard options available.

Instructions and more information are available here.

Last edited by stevep99 (26-Aug-2017 11:29:58)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Nice!

I'm supposing you've implemented your favoured Wide mods which are different from my preferred ones (Wide-Slash for ISO, Wide-Quote for ANSI) since you prefer the =+ or corresponding key to the left of 6^.

How easy is it to implement mod variations with this? If it's readily doable, could you please write a how-to?

I thought naïvely that phones would support USB HID keyboards "just like that", but this isn't the case I guess. Or do they? Could I instead just use an USB QUICKIE with an external keyboard, and a USB A-to-Micro cable into the phone?

Last edited by DreymaR (28-Aug-2017 10:40:23)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

The problem is the scan codes from the keyboard are interpreted by default as Qwerty, and even if you set the soft keyboard to Colemak, this only affects the UI keyboard and not the scan codes. But, you can definitely use a "USB QUICKIE" as a solution, I have tried this and it works well. In fact, it's a better solution than what I have presented here, because you get the extra benefits like Extend.

I suppose I'm used to thinking of 6 on the right as that how it appears on my split Ergo Pro, even though it would technically be nearer for the left hand on a non-split keyboard. I'd actually forgotten about the slash thing. Anyway, it's trivially easy to remap, since the most of the configuration is just mapping scancodes to pre-defined key names.

e.g. to switch six/equals, you'd change

map key    7    EQUALS
    map key    8    6

to

map key    7    6
    map key    8    EQUALS
    Last edited by stevep99 (28-Aug-2017 11:46:10)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Where would you do that, and what would you do afterwards? Keep in mind that I have exactly zero experience with this. ;-)

Maybe a little how-to section in the README wouldn't go amiss?

Last edited by DreymaR (28-Aug-2017 11:56:06)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***