• You are not logged in.

Dvorak was Right! Pinky Is Fastest Finger!

• Started by Chupo
    • 3 Replies:

This is from Keybr under Dvorak. My right pinky L is the fastest:

dv_L.png

Seriously, what I think is going on is that my Dvorak skills were disrupted by my Colemak training (most definitely). The L was the least hampered as there is no competing letter in that Colemak position to be rewired to. I thought it was interesting.

Indeed, the pinky is surprisingly fast and dexterous! Well, maybe not so surprising considering that the outermost fingers on each hand have the most varied tasks.

But it does lack some strength. The ring finger is a lot stronger but a lot less dexterous, so it should have a common letter on its home position but not too common letters on the stretch positions I think.

So, the pinkies do have a lot of dexterous work already. They are in charge of a set of modifiers and special keys each, that make them fly about and prove their worth.

Many typists experience pinky fatigue. Therefore, optimized layouts tend to give them a little or a lot less work load, despite their rapidity. Myself, I recommend using a Wide ergo mod to shift some of the right pinky's load to the strong index fingers.

A statistic like the one you show does have some caveats though. It's not immediately obvious that the speeds would've been the same on another layout given equal conditions otherwise. I think some letters flow better than others, depending on their most common n-grams.

Last edited by DreymaR (28-Aug-2017 09:47:08)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I feel really bad for people who have longstanding pinky fatigue.

I am however the champion pinky wrestler in my village. :)  lol! 

By the way, I found "Sticky Keys" under accessibility options in Plasma:  Works great! But, I still hold the shift key while typing a capital letter. Takes some getting use to, I suppose. Thank you for that!

Last edited by Chupo (29-Aug-2017 03:03:20)

Nice! Sticky Shift is the cure for FRequent DOuble CApitalization SYndrome. ;-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***