• You are not logged in.

Planck

• Started by bph
  • 30 Replies:

Couple words regarding the Planck. I'm using it more regularly now, still not as daily driver at work, but always out of work, and I practice on it a lot. Although this is not ergonomic keyboard in itself, it is absolutely amazing and I like it more and more. I started to understand why people get rid of all other keyboards and start to use Plancks solely. It is very attractive it its simplicity and the fact that all the keys are instantly accessible and no hands moving required. I also have Let's Split and Ergodox, but I prefer Planck so far. I also installed all R3 SA keycaps from the latest PMK grab bag to it and I like how it works.

Here is the picture of my Planck

Last edited by ckofy (15-Sep-2017 05:15:08)

Very nice! Having the different colour keys perhaps helps as a memory aid too, especially when it comes to extra layers.

I wouldn't mind trying out "walking the Planck" at some point, but now I am used to the angle mod, I am concerned that the straight columns might be hard to adjust to. And I would have the M/K dilemma to contend with!

I wonder why you prefer the Planck to the Let's Split? They seem pretty much the same apart from the, erm, split. Which to me would be a big advantage, as by angling the two halves slightly, it would be possible to somewhat replicate the angle-mod.

Last edited by stevep99 (15-Sep-2017 13:30:36)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

I'm actually using staggered angle-wide keyboard at work and ortholinear at home. It works fine, I can readjust in couple minutes. Using split keyboard is my ultimate goal, though in my experience, split is another beast which require adjusting. Indeed, it is possible to replicate angle mod with split, tenting is another possibility that many people mentioned. What is distinguishes Planck from Let's Split is more sturdy construction, Let's Split with sandwich case feels flimsy, and easier programming experience. Planck is literally mainstream of QMK programming, everything is working on it out-of-wheels and very easy. Let's Split is possible to program with the same layout as a Planck, but the process of flashing firmware to it is not so straightforward. While the Egrodox Infinity is a complexity champion in QMK programming, and I'm happy I was able to program with QMK at all.
Looking forward I suppose to use Let's Split or Ergodox as a daily driver, but keep Planck as a travel keyboard, split boards IMO are not so good in this role because ... they consists of two halves connected with cable. :)

Regarding the M/K dilemma, yes, it exists. But I decided for myself to use the latest "unified" Mod-DH on all my boards in sake of unification. Nothing ideal in this world. M is not ideal in the bottom row, but it is not ideal in the middle row either. IMO, E under right middle finger will make any frequent enough consonant in the center-middle to be in not ideal position. From that aspect H is the worst, M is better, and K is even better. Qwerty has N in the Colemak DH M position, and people live with it, so nothing impossible! (BTW, I red that people using qwerty complained to ortholinear layout because of N stretch, which is definitely more frequent that M stretch.) I may reconsider of using M in the middle row if I solely switch to ortholinear. We need to propose some unambiguous Mod-DH to newcomers to do not divert them, and the latest unified DH is the best candidate for that. Experienced user will understand that the layout is not a dogma in the modern world, and minor tweak will not make you violate the "standard", because there is no standard in alternative layouts, qwerty is the only standard. Amen.

Amen brother. ^_^

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Good point about the sturdiness of the Planck, I hadn't realized the Let's Split was appreciably flimsier.

The Qwerty N position is very silly indeed for the second most common consonant. It does neatly put into perspective such minor details as the M/K issue.

If I knew five years ago what I know now, I'd be tempted to try Qwerty T/F and N/J swaps, just to get the two most frequent consonants under my index fingers, eliminating two diagonal stretches.

Last edited by stevep99 (16-Sep-2017 14:49:20)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.