• You are not logged in.

Wish it wasn't called Colemak

• Started by keyboard samurai
    • 14 Replies:

I have thought this for a while.  Colemak is an awful name for this layout.  I know Shai's reasons given in the FAQ, but I always find it one of the most awkward transitions of the layout in going from "e" to "m".  It use keys above and below the home row and highlights a weak transition.  It's not a good advertisement for the layout and it suggests some connection to Dvorak that it does not have.  It's connection is to Qwerty and like Qwerty should have a name coming from the layout.  Right now the name Colemak is one of the layout's worst enemies, typing "Colemak" on a Qwerty layout is much more comfortable than typing "Colemak" on the Colemak layout!

I think it would have been much better to call it something that uses only the home row like the
    STANDARD layout.    or even Shai's standard layout.

compare typing the word "standard" in QWERTY to typing it in Colemak (or STANDARD  :-) )

at least something playful like the Neo or Star or NEST or  Stenario layout. 

stenario  or standard get my vote!

:-)
    I love Shai's Standard layout!

Seriously, the name is one of the worst enemies? Not people's pigheaded lazy persistent cluelessness, for instance? Give me a break.

Personally, I don't feel any problems with the E-M transition. Since I angle my hands slightly outwards, the right index finger slides quite effortlessly down a row to find the M key. Then again, you type faster than me overall from what I gather so maybe I'm not the one to tell.

I feel that the name Colemak has personality. Names like the ones you suggest look awfully run-of-the-mill to me; how many things are called Neo, Star or Standard already, you think? In my town there's even a toy store named Standard. That name always struck me as dull - you don't want "standard" toys but FUN and EXCITING and INNOVATIVE toys! To its defense, it's an old shop.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

"Not people's pigheaded lazy persistent cluelessness, for instance?"

Oh, yes, that will certainly win people over!   

I was reading about a 9 year old that has already published several books and loves to write constantly. The article mentioned that she types 70 wpm.  I wouldn't call her lazy.  People adapt to what they have been given and they have been given no choice in how their keyboard is labeled and operating systems with bias towards one layout.

The price of personality is that the name contains no information about the layout.  If anything the name is misleading.  Just look at trouble with coming up with a decent t-shirt.  Colemak (what?)

how about  arSTENio  ?    :-)    like in  Arsenio Hall   ...  well he was riding high in the 90's.   Maybe get his endorsement and a little notoriety in the tabloids.  How's that for personality.  Headlines are "Modern  keyboard layout named after famous comedian!"

Sorry, I forgot a smiley in there. Remember that I wasn't trying to win someone over, but chat with an insider. Sorry if I was unclear. My statement was meant to emphasize that I think the progress of Colemak isn't mainly hampered by its name. At all, really.

That 9-yo probably isn't anywhere near lazy, no. But I wasn't talking about her - I was referring to people who are told and explained properly the alternatives, and still respond with a shrug and a "can't be arsed, although you're probably right - I just don't care". I'd never call them pigheaded to their faces, but I do find it annoying that people in general are so unwilling to change things for the better. Hence the crack.

Names that contain, as you say, information about the layout really don't imo. What does ARSTDHNEIO, ARENSITO, QWERF and suchlike tell people? Not much, I'm afraid. All the names that are based on the QWERTY name may be the worst because that's a not very interesting part of the layout anyway - apart from the horror of the E placement in the original QWERTY of course. And even that name still doesn't tell the layman much. So I'll say it's better to go for a name with personality instead.

The t-shirt variety (which I don't consider a problem but an amusing playground for the imagination!), again, isn't due to the name. It's due to the fact that there are many creative personalities here letting their minds run free. We have different wishes and the results are different too. If I were trying to make one official t-shirt based on that thread I might be frustrated, but that wasn't my intent. I just want to discuss ideas and hopefully arrive at a design I can use for a shirt I can buy. As mentioned, nowadays you can buy t-shirts based on an uploaded image quite cheaply.

I've only barely heard the name Arsenio Hall and was unaware that he was a comedian. I'm not ignorant about culture in general, so if he were well-known around here I'd have heard about it I think. Either you disregard the non-US world or you overestimate the internationality of his fame. I just thought I'd tell you in case it's the latter.

keyboard samurai said:

I have thought this for a while.  Colemak is an awful name for this layout.  I know Shai's reasons given in the FAQ, but I always find it one of the most awkward transitions of the layout in going from "e" to "m".  It use keys above and below the home row and highlights a weak transition.  It's not a good advertisement for the layout and it suggests some connection to Dvorak that it does not have.  It's connection is to Qwerty and like Qwerty should have a name coming from the layout.  Right now the name Colemak is one of the layout's worst enemies, typing "Colemak" on a Qwerty layout is much more comfortable than typing "Colemak" on the Colemak layout!

I think it would have been much better to call it something that uses only the home row like the
    STANDARD layout.    or even Shai's standard layout.

compare typing the word "standard" in QWERTY to typing it in Colemak (or STANDARD  :-) )

at least something playful like the Neo or Star or NEST or  Stenario layout. 

stenario  or standard get my vote!

:-)
    I love Shai's Standard layout!

I agree. It should be named for a goddess.

nTheia. Now that's an idea! And using alternating caps and lower case makes a use of the shift conveniently located under the left thumb (QWERTY's left-alt key). ¿And why not make use of the dead comma and question mark also on the home row to bracket the name in Spanish question marks?

¿nTheia is chic as she is nTheia?
     V  F/ G/ M/ L¦@&  O\ U\ P\ B
      S/ D/ T/ N  R¦ A  E\ I\ C\ H ,?
      / K/ W/ J  X  Z¦'" Q\ Y\.!\;:

Unless you were talking about some other board...but you said you love it, so it must be nTheia, Yes☺

"Things will get better despite our efforts to improve them" - Will Rogers
    "...even the dog doesn't think I'm a monster." - Humphrey Bogart in The Caine Mutiny (1954)

I think that 'Colemak' is here to stay now, and I'm not at all unhappy about it. But one sweet name would've been SHAI.  :)

- We already have Java. Now how about a cuppa Chai... errr... Shai? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai
    - Shai. It is your destiny! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shai
    - It can be typed as a home row exercise! shai shai shai shai shai shai shai shai shai ...

:)

That's funny.

It also is an name that has perfect alternation of the hands. 

so move over and give me a cup of SHAI  !

Here you go:
    chai.jpg

Now get a life!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Heb … Symbol.svg (Chai, a Hebrew symbol of living!)

Enough fluff: In actuality, the name Shai means "gift". It strikes me that Colemak is also a gift from Shai to the world.
    http://www.learn-hebrew-names.com/Show- … e-en89.htm

Haha, thanks for your funny, as well as interesting information Drey!
    Hmm, Shai must have felt very flattered when he read this...
    How about calling the double row shifted colemak – which I will still try out soon – 'Shai'. Hehe, i'm really fond of that idea.

Not so fond of that idea myself, since Shai never did this shifting mess - that's our misdemeanor.  :)

What about Sholemak... oh hang on, sounds like Sholes has returned from the grave to haunt us!

No, really: I'd not invent a fancy name for a row-shifted Colemak at all, and I'd not sell the idea either. Just try it out in relative silence, at least for now. If you become overenthusiastic, then is the time to go a-preaching.

I'm still happy with my half-shifted one, by the way. I think I may call it... Tim? No. ColemakSh is my own working title - Colemak with a shift (and it sounds like an almost-but-not-quite, which in fact it is).

Haha, you are right, me mustn't talk too much about it.

Shai if it means gift is an excellent name. Perhaps it could go as both...

Or better yet, SHAI could be an ergonomic modification that moves Z to the top row (shifting the bottom row left one key) and P down to the left of B (shifting the top row one key right) so that the left hand has the same comfortable slant as the right hand on a standard keyboard.

Last edited by sorenk (14-Oct-2007 07:00:03)

"...even the dog doesn't think I'm a monster." - Humphrey Bogart in The Caine Mutiny (1954)

Soren - it's starting to get old. And you wouldn't really go about using Shai's name on a project that he didn't approve of (as far as anyone can tell, and as far as I can understand Shai's layout policy)? Seriously?

What if for instance someone modified your nTheia to a layout starting with ARS on the homerow (like Colemak) and promoted that on these forums as the 'SoreARS' layout? Surely you'd mind? (Very pointed example, I know - I can rarely resist those.)

Last edited by DreymaR (14-Oct-2007 08:09:54)

DreymaR said:

Soren - it's starting to get old. And you wouldn't really go about using Shai's name on a project that he didn't approve of (as far as anyone can tell, and as far as I can understand Shai's layout policy)? Seriously?

What if for instance someone modified your nTheia to a layout starting with ARS on the homerow (like Colemak) and promoted that on these forums as the 'SoreARS' layout? Surely you'd mind? (Very pointed example, I know - I can rarely resist those.)

I think most people know the difference between good and ill will.

* I never suggested that I intended to take an action.
    * I pointed out that if SHAI meant "gift" it would be a good name (for him or other Colemak devotees to use).
    * If some one used my name in conjunction with existentialism, or a meaning associated with the name (I don't know what the name means aside form a dead philosopher) I'd take no offense at all.
    * If some one used nTheia in some way, I'd be flattered.

I think you'll be alright.

Last edited by sorenk (15-Oct-2007 03:30:50)

"I didn't think that QWFPGJ would be a very catchy name :) . It's after the name of its creator, Shai Coleman. Colemak has the same ending as Dvorak. Colemak was inspired by the Linux naming idea."

Colemay or Colety might be more fitting for the layout since it has much more in common with Qwerty
    than Dvorak, but its long since named right?  Sort of not worth discussing.