• You are not logged in.

My journey Colemak and Kinesis

• Started by Seno
    • 11 Replies:

Im gonna be short in this first post.
    Got my Kinesis advantage two days ago and this is day 1 with Colemak.
    I am at 20wpm now with alot ot mispelling.

I used to write with one finger on each hand. So this is a huge change.
    Was also looking for a swedish layout, I study software development and was wondering if anyone here has a setup thats usefull.

p.s this took alot ot time to write.

Have a look in my locale layout topic, linked from my Big Bag. I suggest one Swedish layout within my paradigm; of course you could also go for the "keep locale symbols" route which is more familiar – but in my book less satisfying.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Im kinda lost cant find swe version for win.

There isn't a pre-made one for Swedish. I don't have time to maintain a hundred PKL layouts – even though I did implement all those locales for XKB. ;-)

However, they are all described in my locale topic. And if you download my PKL files there's a Norwegian layout there that you could easily edit into a Swedish one! Just find the ÆæØø entries in the layout.ini file and change them to ÄäÖö. If you want to do like me, and type CurlAngleWide, use the CAW pkl.ini and that layout and you're good to go.

Then, you'll have this (plus Curl):
    Cmk-eD-fi%2Bse-usym-aw_Xmc.png?raw=1

I've typed Norwegian on that layout for years and I think it's good. It's up to you whether to use Curl of course. PKL is clunky so if you don't want AngleWide you'll have to work from another of my layouts.

Last edited by DreymaR (16-Sep-2017 13:58:10)

Hello everyone!

Here is a quick update on my progress, I have been using colemak at home for one month.
    Had to use qwerty first two weeks of my first post because of a school assignment I had to do.

So my best wpm is now 45, I am trying to use the layout as much as possible, though I have to still use qwerty at school.
    Iam going to order a case for my Kinesis soon, so I am able to bring it to school with me.

My speed has improved alot but I still press the wrong letters all the time.

One positive thing is that my hands never hurt anymore like they used to do, and I now write with all five fingers.

I use the following sites to train.
    http://www.keybr.com/practice
    https://10fastfingers.com/widgets/typingtest

If you have some tricks on how to improve speed, please share.

over n out.

Last edited by Seno (03-Oct-2017 07:52:56)

Glad to hear that your experience is comfortable! Combining Kinesis with Colemak should indeed be a significant improvement.

Last edited by DreymaR (03-Oct-2017 08:31:32)

Just a quick update, I am still on colemak(english version). I am thinking of trying a swedish version of colemak soon.

My WPM is now around 90, which is great, still alot of misstyping though but it's getting alot beter.

Before switching away from qwerty I had alot of pain in my hands, which now are gone. I will never use a normal keyboard again that is for sure.

This message was written as fast at it would have been done with qwerty :), the kinesis + colemak setup is so nice I would recommend it for anyone working with something that requires alot of typing.

I use vimium plugin for chrome also so I do not have to touch my mouse, also i use the vim plugin for intellij.

Over and out!

Last edited by Seno (12-Apr-2018 13:39:16)

Way to stick with it! I'm just glad that the Kinesis, being my keyboard at work, has never slowed me down. I hunkered down and went through a self-inflicted (and pretty brutal) Colemak boot camp for just over a week before transitioning my work keyboard to it, though. Once at 55 or 60 WPM, no one wonders why you're suddenly so much slower.

Last edited by azuvix (13-Apr-2018 06:10:58)

Well just keep on pacticing, I would never use a kinesis with qwerty layout anyway, that seems like a huge waste.
    I got the dvorak layouot on my kinesis, before I turned into colemak I had to choose between them. Now I dont think I will ever try to learn dvorak, but you never know :)

Seno said:

Well just keep on pacticing, I would never use a kinesis with qwerty layout anyway, that seems like a huge waste.
    I got the dvorak layouot on my kinesis, before I turned into colemak I had to choose between them. Now I dont think I will ever try to learn dvorak, but you never know :)

I learned Dvorak when I was in the university, my right little finger didn't forgive me for quite a long time after that.

So I am still using the Kinesis Advantage 2 with Colemak. It has been 3 years since i bought this keyboard because I had RSI problems in both of my hands.
    I have never had an issue since then with my hands, they never give me any pain at all nowdays.

If you are using a keyboard as your primary device when you work, do not wait to make the switch to a kinesis and colemak. It will make your hands happy and you will never look back on a normal keyboard.

The nice thing about the kinesis is that you can override the layout via the usb memory that is built in on the keyboard.
    Now you have colemak on every machine you plug your keyboard into from start.

Last edited by Seno (05-Nov-2019 14:29:10)

That's great to hear.  Pain isn't fun.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.