• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • my experience: 4 weeks to regain typing proficiency, like it a lot

my experience: 4 weeks to regain typing proficiency, like it a lot

• Started by alphameter
    • 2 Replies:

Actions/Observations:
    - I printed out the keyboard layout, cut the individual keys, and taped them to my keyboard.  (They started falling off after a week.  But, that's fine.)
    - I didn't practice with any of the typing lessons.
    - After a couple of days, I could tell that my fingers moved less and that typing was more comfortable (though slower).
    - It took me 4 weeks of heavy usage to regain most of my QWERTY proficiency with COLEMAK.
    - I expect to type faster than I ever did with QWERTY.

If you expect to use a keyboard for 5 years or more, learning COLEMAK (or another non-QWERTY layout) should be a no-brainer.  Why continue using a layout designed to slow you down?

Oh, I should mention:
    - I got tired of switching the "language" to Colemak with every app I opened.  So, I bit the bullet and used the registry-remapping option on Windows to make the switch "global".
    - I use Windoze rdesktop to connect to a box at work.  If you switch both your local box and the remote box, you get some hybrid key mapping.  To avoid this, I toggle the box at work depending on whether I'm using it remotely or in person.

• Shai
    • Administrator

The issue of having to switch the layout on every app to Colemak is because Colemak hasn't been configured to be the default layout.
    The rdesktop issue happens only when using the registry remapping, and shouldn't happen with the normal layout installation.

• Index
      • Experiences
      • my experience: 4 weeks to regain typing proficiency, like it a lot