• You are not logged in.

Coming back to colemak

• Started by sotolf
  • 37 Replies:
sotolf said:

Man I'm stupid I've been practicing mod dh, and somehow the d always was a problem, and I just noticed that I've been puhing it with my middlefinger all the time for some reason, that's going to be a neusance to get rid of, I'm sure.

LOL, using the index finger for that key is one of the main benefits of course! Some focussed D-word training perhaps?

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Oh me oh my. He may be more into F-words right now. ;-)

Last edited by DreymaR (21-Nov-2017 16:45:35)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

stevep99 said:
sotolf said:

Man I'm stupid I've been practicing mod dh, and somehow the d always was a problem, and I just noticed that I've been puhing it with my middlefinger all the time for some reason, that's going to be a neusance to get rid of, I'm sure.

LOL, using the index finger for that key is one of the main benefits of course! Some focussed D-word training perhaps?

Diddely dumdumdum dads whad I'll kind of have do do now ;)

Oh me oh my. He may be more into F-words right now. ;-)

Flowers Friendship and Fishfingers 0:)

Sotolf, you're a fantabulous flashing funnel of fresh funky funlight! ^_^

DreymaR said:

Sotolf, you're a fantabulous flashing funnel of fresh funky funlight! ^_^

Wow I read that very embarassingly wrong at first :p

I've finally got up to a respectable 50 WPM with colemak cawdh, now I'm finally starting to be really happy that I went through the work of starting to learn it, it really feels even more amazing to write with than standard colemak, which I've really liked for a long time.

And for writing on a laptop it really is a godsend, it makes the cramped laptop keyboard feel a lot more spacey for some reason :) So now that I'm kind of useful with this keyboard time is to get the error rate down a bit, and the speed up, so I still have a lot to do, but it's a lot more comfortable to do it.

I shan't try to imagine what you read... ;-)

Tip: CAW-DH (cawdh) is a moronic oxymoron, as CAW stands for Curl(DH)-Angle-Wide. I wanted to call my Colemak mod variant something snappy and ended up with Colemak-CAW. It reminds me of Billy McCaw (who is a Macaw parrot that may or may not caw but certainly "plays" the flute and guitar!) from Cats. ^_^

Glad you like it! And yes, it feels amazing I think, whether on a laptop or not but especially there.

Last edited by DreymaR (24-Nov-2017 16:48:27)

DreymaR said:

I shan't try to imagine what you read... ;-)

Tip: CAW-DH (cawdh) is a moronic oxymoron, as CAW stands for Curl(DH)-Angle-Wide.

Ah yeah I was trying to write caw first, but then I was thinking, where is the dh, but of course that's in the C! Finally I got it :p

Now I'm consistantly lying around 50WPM + with colemak caw :) feels nice, I just need some practice and I'll get to my 80 again, I'm really enjoying caw a lot though, it's really something, I was reluctant at first, but it's really worth the extra little pain to get used to it!

Slowly building speed, and I'm almost consistantly at 60 WPM now, it's nice to see that it's getting less and less trouble writing with colemak now that I get some more practice :)

Hi again everyone, I seem to have reached a plateu now at around 60 WPM, and it seems like it's the flow that is kind of killing me, I'm working on accuracy as of now, and I hope that I can push through, does anyone have any tips for getting a more regular flow into my typing, is there anything that is important to keep in mind while I'm working.

I find that when I've typed a lot of book pages with Amphetype my flow improves. As an added bonus, it feels more like reading books than doing drills.

Another thing which is fun and useful is doing some of the classical Typing Of The Dead exercises. They're surprisingly good and quite entertaining, albeit goofy as hell. ;-)

In TotD there's one exercise where you have to keep a coin in the air for as long as possible by repeatedly firing at it. This is best accomplished with good flow. Fun and useful!

Last edited by DreymaR (23-Jan-2018 16:40:12)

plateaus are normal - at least they were for me. I think I had them for a bit at both 50 and 60wpm

DreymaR said:

I find that when I've typed a lot of book pages with Amphetype my flow improves. As an added bonus, it feels more like reading books than doing drills.

Yeah I really do prefer using amphetype myself, it's such a nice way to practice writing :)

bph said:

plateaus are normal - at least they were for me. I think I had them for a bit at both 50 and 60wpm

That's true, it's just frustratring to try to go over them, it was going so nice upwards, and then suddenly falling 5 WPM, and I've been stuck there for a while, but I hope that perciverence will prevail :)