• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • PKL_eD.exe troubles with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update!

PKL_eD.exe troubles with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update!

• Started by DreymaR
    • 3 Replies:

So, I got around to updating to the new Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709). Fine and well... for about 30 seconds. At that time, the updated Windows Defender saw fit to quarantine my PortableKeyboardLayout[edition DreymaR] claiming it was a trojan! Ugh.

The PKL_eD.exe file was marked as "Trojan: Win32/Azden.A!cl". Browsing the net, I found that this has often been a problem for people using compiled Autohotkey scripts, the executables being marked with various trojan tags by antivirus software. The description from Microsoft of this particular "trojan" was completely vague and generic.

I used the AHK v1.0.48 compiler (downloaded from the main AHK pages), as my code isn't quite ready for AHK v1.1+ yet. I've compiled these files from my source code and used them extensively without trouble for a long time now.

Oddly enough, the original PKL.exe (v0.4 preview) was not quarantined. But I'm quite confident it's a very false positive anyway. The original was compiled with AHK v1.0.47 I think.

To get back PKL functionality, I had to:
        * Create an exclusion rule for the affected file in the Windows Defender Security Center → Virus & Threat Protection Settings.
        * Under Scan History → Quarantined Threats, select the perceived threat and choose to Restore my file(s).

I hope Microsoft or the AHK community will fix this, but I'm in no way holding my breath. I've sent MS my file for analysis, together with some explanations.

Last edited by DreymaR (29-Nov-2017 13:18:57)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Ah sad to hear that you have problems with it. I have windows10 (something something) at work and here (with kaspersky) it hasn't made any problems.

I had no troubles yesterday, but Windows Defender got ornery after the update today. Yeah, using Kaspersky would make a difference I guess. Although I've read that several virus softwares have been giving AHK a hard time at various points.

Last edited by DreymaR (29-Nov-2017 16:02:47)

Update:

Microsoft has scanned my PKL_eD.exe and found it not to be malware – as expected.

I removed the Windows Defender exclusion of the PortableKeyboardLayout folder on my laptop and rescanned it with updated definitions just now (Threat Definition v. 1.257.1412.0), confirming that the false detection is now fixed. So hopefully we'll have no more troubles on this particular issue...

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Dec-2017 15:18:16)

• Index
      • Technical
      • PKL_eD.exe troubles with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update!