• You are not logged in.

Umlaut

• Started by pinkyache
  • 27 Replies:

Correct, diaeresis (diëresis ;-)) or trema is used regularly in Dutch/Flemish, exactly as explained above.

It should only be used in case of ambiguity though. Eg. "reorganisatie" (reorganisation) has no trema, since "eo" can never form one sound, (unlike reverse "oe").

PS: what about zeeëend ;-)
(zee-eend = sea duck)

ghen said:

Correct, diaeresis (diëresis ;-)) or trema is used regularly in Dutch/Flemish, exactly as explained above.

It should only be used in case of ambiguity though. Eg. "reorganisatie" (reorganisation) has no trema, since "eo" can never form one sound, (unlike reverse "oe").

PS: what about zeeëend ;-)
(zee-eend = sea duck)

zeeëend looks awesome ;) We don't have the same issue in Norwegian, since we have differences in consonant length instead of wovel length, but that has it own set of problems :) That means that tak has a short consonant, which makes the wovel long, or takk where the consonant is long, and the wovel therefore short :p

I was two weeks in Heist op den Berg in a school exchange, and I have met a lot of great belgians and dutch people :) And Belgian fries with mayo, and all the beers, duvel, hoegaarden :) yummy!

Norway doesn't really have long and short consonants but single and double consonants that determine vowel lengths. It's a silly system I think. The Finns and Dutch have the better idea by modifying vowel lengths directly.

In Greek they have some long/short letter pairs: Eta (ηΗ) means "the e", while epsilon (εΕ) means "the thin e". Omicron (οΟ) is "the small o" and omega (ωΩ) "the big o". One may say that iota (ιΙ) "the i(o)" and upsilon (υΥ) "the thin u" are kind of a pair too. Fun! Then again, they have too few letters and have ruined some of them so it's not so nice overall.

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Jan-2018 15:58:20)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***