• You are not logged in.

Is this speed good for me?

• Started by LawLombie
    • 20 Replies:

I had switched to vanilla Colemak since Nov 23, 2017, then to Mod-DH since Jan 10, 2018.
    See picture to see how fast(slow) I am.
    Is this speed good for a beginner like me?
    My TypeRacer Profile

TypeRacer.com scorecard for user lawlombie

EDIT: fixed date errors.
    EDIT2: forgot to say, I only had 20 wpm on QWERTY, which is extremely slow, and this is my only reason I switched to Colemak. (I do not have RSI or CTS)
    EDIT3: my speed just improved to 43 wpm.
    EDIT4: added typeracer portable scoreboard that changes.

Last edited by LawLombie (27-Jan-2018 09:09:18)

I guess you meant Jan 10th unless you have a DeLorean capable of 88mph.

That's pretty good progress I'd say, it think it took me at least a couple of months to get back to around 40wpm.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

stevep99 said:

I guess you meant Jan 10th unless you have a DeLorean capable of 88mph.

Yeah, February isn't even here yet.

So I'll accept this speed as good.

That sounds pretty okay, I used about 3 weeks before I got my old speed back, and now I'm on a plateu :p

well within the normal bounds i would say

nothing to worry about - keep plugging away

once your at 40 you can realistically get stuff done which helps

hit 50 and it starts to feel fluent

anything above that is a bonus!

With accuracy below 97%, focus on typing accurately and comfortably. Then the speeds will come of themselves once you have regained accuracy.

Is it just me, or do all newcomers convert to CurlAngle(Wide) these days? ^_^

Last edited by DreymaR (25-Jan-2018 18:10:04)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Its like someone must be giving it the hard-sell or something? ;)

Yeah... I wonder who...

DreymaR said:

Nope, I am not using wide.

Thanks for all your advices! ^_^

DreymaR said:

With accuracy below 97%, focus on typing accurately and comfortably. Then the speeds will come of themselves once you have regained accuracy.

caw caw, we should call you odin
      - Huginn

Hehe! Odin has many names, Valfaðir and Ragnaropt and Bǫlverk and many more. But DreymimaðR is not one of them... before... ;-)

When typing fast and comfortably, the thoughts and memories (Hugin and Munin) do fly off my fingers and how right that they caw too!

Last edited by DreymaR (27-Jan-2018 18:12:22)

DreymaR said:

Hehe! Odin has many names, Valfaðir and Ragnaropt and Bǫlverk and many more. But DreymimaðR is not one of them... before... ;-)

When typing fast and comfortably, the thoughts and memories (Hugin and Munin) do fly off my fingers and how right that they caw too!

Well, with that many already on the list it's not like anyone would notice another one up there ;)

I have to read through Heimskringla again :)

sotolf said:
    DreymaR said:

- Huginn

DreymaR said:

sotolf said:
    DreymaR said:

Well, with that many already on the list it's not like anyone would notice another one up there ;)

I don't understand what are you guys saying at all.
    Can anyone explain it?

Hey sotolf, did I just raced with you on TypeRacer? I saw someone called "sotolf" just like your name.
    It's so cool to race with you!

LawLombie said:
    sotolf said:

- Huginn

DreymaR said:

sotolf said:

I don't understand what are you guys saying at all.
    Can anyone explain it?

Okay, this has been kind of an inside joke between me and Dreymar for a while. I tend to write CAW (curved angle wide) as caw, which has been bothering him for a while, because that's what the crows are doing and not the keyboard layout. So when he was musing about how his modification of the layout was getting a lot of followers I was suggesting that we were like Hugin, one of odin's ravens (Norse mythology, the old religion up in our place here in Norway) Since the bird is caw-ing, and Odin is it's owner, and since odin is a god he has a lot of followers.

Dreymar then was riffing on the fact that Odin has a lot of names, and more about the birds Huginn and Munin which are the two old norse words for "thoughts" and "memory" and how thoughts and memories seems to flow more effortlessly when writing with colemak-ed-caw.

My last post was then suggesting to edit in the extra name in wikipedia, and I was meaning to read heimskringla again. It's the only poetry book that I have actually enjoyed.

LawLombie said:

Hey sotolf, did I just raced with you on TypeRacer? I saw someone called "sotolf" just like your name.
    It's so cool to race with you!

Yeah, that's me :) I tend to race some times, I'm working on getting up from my 58-63 WPM Plateu ;) Sotolf is my prefered nickname, since it's not used by many others, and because Tor Erling tends to be even harder for foreigners to remember :p

sotolf said:

I tend to write CAW (curved angle wide) as caw, which has been bothering him for a while,

Nope, it only amuses me. What did bother me just a bit just now however, was that you called CurlAngleWide "curved angle wide". But curling, or curving, it's close enough I guess? ;-)

DreymaR said:
    sotolf said:

I tend to write CAW (curved angle wide) as caw, which has been bothering him for a while,

Nope, it only amuses me. What did bother me just a bit just now however, was that you called CurlAngleWide "curved angle wide". But curling, or curving, it's close enough I guess? ;-)

Do'h that's what writing without thinking brings you, but apropos curling, how did we do with curling this year? I remember that was just getting popular the last year I was home in the old country :)

No idea, sorry. I'm more of a know-old-names-for-Odin-and-odd-keyboard-tricks kind of guy than a curling-knowledgeable one. ^_^

DreymaR said:

No idea, sorry. I'm more of a know-old-names-for-Odin-and-odd-keyboard-tricks kind of guy than a curling-knowledgeable one. ^_^

Heresy that is! giveth this poor soul some respite from the lack of curling in his life... well think of it, his fingers are curling, good enough ;p

Ok, so, whatever, I guess I'm using "ca".

\ ₤ô₤ /