• You are not logged in.

OK, I'm going ColemakDH

• Started by acarlow
  • 29 Replies:

Thanks guys for letting me know about the "new" layout.  I've updated my keyboards and layouts.  After a couple days, I'm still mistyping M and K but hopefully that won't last long.

Grats on choosing a great layout! ^_^

Actually, all Colemak layouts are great. That one just happens to be the hottest one now – at least, it's my new favourite.

Last edited by DreymaR (22-May-2017 08:52:46)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

So I thought I'd post a little update on my transition from QWERTY.  I am still using Colemak-DH and use it exclusively.  I first switched cold turkey about 10 months ago now. My typing speed is now around 10WPM faster than I typed QWERTY but it's certainly not a massive increase in speed.  Still, it is more comfortable and I have no intention to move back to QWERTY.

The biggest problem I have is when I remote into a computer - if I'm not using a programmable keyboard it really sucks trying to type on a QWERTY layout for me now.  To solve this problem, I got a programmable Atreus keyboard that I use with my laptops and I have a few other types of programmable keyboards that I use on various desktop machines.  I also have a USB-USB converter that works well.  The simplicity of using a properly set up programmable keyboard vs the software solution is for me totally worth learning how to configure the programmable keyboard.  If I didn't have the need to frequently remote into other computers, I would probably have been satisfied with the software-only solutions.

To everyone responsible for creating this layout, I really appreciate your work and it has changed my typing for the better.  Thank you!

Aaron

Last edited by acarlow (11-Feb-2018 06:39:02)

For me using colemak (CAW) is most about comfort, the added speed is just a good side effect :)

I have the same problem with remote desktop being a bit wonky, but I use that as a chance to keep at least some semblense of qwerty skills still there. I'm working IT/Support and there is quite a few times that I have to type on other people's machines for a little while without really any need to install pkl on them, so it's a nice skill to have.

I love my TMK QUICKIE. <3

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***