• You are not logged in.

The patorjk keyboard analyzer

• Started by stevep99
    • 5 Replies:

I notice that this analyzer is referred to quite often whenever people are discussing or trying to promote their own special layout. It's almost the default go-to analyzer.

It's nicely presented and all, but how are the scores actually calculated? The about page doesn't really explain.

If you put Mod-DH in to, it scores pretty much identically to Colemak, results are here. Even more bizarrely, Programmer Dvorak is deemed best of all (at least on the Alice corpus)!

I'm guessing it has a very simple algorithm based on distance from home positions, ignoring the fact that some keys are easier than others. I don't know how it treats other factors like bigrams, finger balance, rolls, etc, although it does create some reports on these.

I know scoring systems are subjective, but still.... although this tool is useful for generating charts and graphics, I think its overall score calculation is pretty useless.

Last edited by stevep99 (28-Feb-2018 18:07:19)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

I agree Programmer Dvorak is noticeably inferior compared to the vanilla Colemak and variants.

A great layout but that extra oomph from Colemak in rolls and rhythm is not quantified.

Scores do not capture a feeling.

Last edited by juice43 (01-Mar-2018 04:41:37)

Colemak typist

Yeah, what keyboard comes out on top is just a function of the scoring system used, so if the scoring system doesn't agree with us what makes a good keyboard it will not really give any results that makes any sense.

That analyzer is one of the go-to ones yes, but it's actually a bit old now. And any analyzer is bound to be quite subjective and error-prone.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Yeah, but I wish the model being used was fully described, so at least the results could be interpreted in context.

Last edited by stevep99 (01-Mar-2018 18:02:19)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Pat himself has been known to answer his messages helpfully. So maybe if you pester him about it he'll explain?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***