• You are not logged in.

I'm dumb setting up Mod DH

• Started by stratacast1
    • 19 Replies:

Over the past few months using Colemak, I have been mostly happy with the changes. However, I think I ran into what some others have found...and that is wanting MORE ergonomics!! So I have Mod DH set up, but I'm not doing a good job at understanding the comments in the setup file. First off, I use all varieties of Linux, BSDs, Windows, and soon again Mac OS. But right now I am on Linux. I basically want to use the Curl-DH mod with capslock as backspace and turn AltGR into Alt-Right. I use the American ANSI layout. Are there CLI args I have to use to get this working? I wish I could tag you DreymaR xD

Don't worry, the DreymaR is always lurking around here! ^_^

You should stay away from the Alt-Right. They'll have you brandishing Tiki torches and making you look like an utter fool in no time. ;-)

On a more serious key though:
    • Did you use my XKB files to get Colemak with the Curl-DH mod?
    • The AltGr behavior can be overridden by commenting out include "level3(ralt_switch)" in the symbols file.
    • In my implementation, I keep Caps behavior modular. So you can choose the caps:backspace option.
    • There are Colemak implementations that force Caps behavior but I don't hold with that. It's a separate option.
    • The Colemak flavor you want (unless I can tempt you with Wide as well?) is English (Colemak[eD], Curl-DH ergo mod)
    • To make that work you also need a keyboard model with the right Angle(Wide) mod for you, such as Generic 104-key PC (Angle(Z)Ergo mod)

Are you using GUI settings or a setxkbmap command? I use the latter now, and put in a line in .bashrc to get it at startup/logon. My script can add that line.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

stratacast1 said:

wanting MORE ergonomics!!

stratacast1 said:

capslock as backspace and turn AltGR into Alt-Right

If you want MAXIMUM ergonomics then you need to be using Extend (either on capslock or left alt), which DreymaR's setup gives you automatically. If you've no use for Right-Alt, I'd recommend using it as a thumb-operated extra Shift key - it's much easier to use than the default shifts with their awkward pinkie stretch.

Last edited by stevep99 (22-Feb-2018 16:29:48)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

DreymaR said:

Don't worry, the DreymaR is always lurking around here! ^_^

You should stay away from the Alt-Right. They'll have you brandishing Tiki torches and making you look like an utter fool in no time. ;-)

HAHAHA I've been waiting for this to happen one day, :D

I did a git clone of your GitHub repo and simply ran the install-dreymar-xmod and setxkb scripts, but then went to the keyboard layout settings in gnome-settings and selected the default mod-dh. So basically, I can go to the symbols file and make those 2 changes? The mod I did choose was the "English (Colemak[eD], Curl-DH ergo mod)" mod, I didn't make that clear, my bad. This is the keyboard I have right now

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Ma … masterkeys

I remember looking at the wide mod and not really liking the idea...after typing on Curl-DH enough I was plenty happy. For your last question, I do use the GUI settings for switching keyboard layouts...I don't use setxkbmap on FreeBSD...for some reason it won't do it there, something about not liking my default display.

Woah...I'll consider the extend layer! I do a lot of work in terminals and a lot of text editing in vim and nano so that could be a huge help!

As much as I like mod-dh right now though, I put committing it to memory on pause because I don't see anywhere where people have gotten it to work on macOS? Which I know is unrelated to your awesome tool

stratacast1 said:

I don't see anywhere where people have gotten it to work on macOS?

Doesn't this work?

Last edited by stevep99 (26-Feb-2018 16:33:05)

stevep99 said:
    stratacast1 said:

I don't see anywhere where people have gotten it to work on macOS?

Doesn't this work?

Turns out I'm blind hehe. Thanks :)

I use Karabiner for MacOS. I stayed on El Capitan for it's features, also tried Sierra and didn't like it.

Anything that works is good enough though. I just want to type how I type.

Colemak typist

juice43 said:

I use Karabiner for MacOS. I stayed on El Capitan for it's features, also tried Sierra and didn't like it.

Anything that works is good enough though. I just want to type how I type.

If you want to work with what works for you MacOS isn't really the best though. I usually do a linux distro, since I then can configure it so that it fits to how I work completely.

Update: So I got Mod-DH working like a charm on my macbook, BUT. I have an issue on my Dell XPS. Basically, all Mod-DH works as expected, except my D and V keys are backwards. How can I switch these around? Is there a config file I can open and change?

stratacast1 said:

Basically, all Mod-DH works as expected, except my D and V keys are backwards. How can I switch these around? Is there a config file I can open and change?

What software implementation are you using: DreymaR's big bag / compiled KLC / autohotkey ?

Last edited by stevep99 (09-Apr-2018 10:18:35)

It's a Macbook with MacOS, so that'd be neither. ;-)

Or maybe it's on XKB. Not sure. If the latter is the case, then you need to snoop around in symbols/colemak. Maybe you have an old version or I did something wrong. Let me know.

Oh, hang on... it's XKB isn't it, and you haven't set your keyboard model have you? You need to pick your poison, that is, something that gives you a CurlAngle mod! This depends on keyboard type and your preferences, although these days it mostly comes down to ISO (CurlAngle-ISO) or ANSI (CurlAngle(Z)).

Last edited by DreymaR (09-Apr-2018 17:51:01)

DreymaR said:

It's a Macbook with MacOS, so that'd be neither. ;-)

Or maybe it's on XKB. Not sure. If the latter is the case, then you need to snoop around in symbols/colemak. Maybe you have an old version or I did something wrong. Let me know.

Oh, hang on... it's XKB isn't it, and you haven't set your keyboard model have you? You need to pick your poison, that is, something that gives you a CurlAngle mod! This depends on keyboard type and your preferences, although these days it mostly comes down to ISO (CurlAngle-ISO) or ANSI (CurlAngle(Z)).

Just a short question about the XKB for linux, can I put it back to qwerty for the times that my wife is using the PC or for playing games? It does seam to break setxkbmap for me until a restart of the pc

Ah yes. The simplest way would be to log you off and the wife on. I use a setxkbmap line in ~.bashrc to activate the layout, which would then simply not be run for another user.

It's possible to set QWERTY as a second layout and switch to it, but then you wouldn't switch models which means you'd still have AngleWide active. And using a Curl model would make it worse as you'd need to hack the QWERTY layout for VB.

But with a setxkbmap command you could also switch back. You'd have to include model (likely pc104 or pc105) in that. It shouldn't be broken! Try setxkbmap -v 9 to see what's happening.

Last edited by DreymaR (10-Apr-2018 08:51:41)

DreymaR said:

Ah yes. The simplest way would be to log you off and the wife on. I use a setxkbmap line in ~.bashrc to activate the layout, which would then simply not be run for another user.

It's possible to set QWERTY as a second layout and switch to it, but then you wouldn't switch models which means you'd still have AngleWide active. And using a Curl model would make it worse as you'd need to hack the QWERTY layout for VB.

But with a setxkbmap command you could also switch back. You'd have to include model (likely pc104 or pc105) in that. It shouldn't be broken! Try setxkbmap -v 9 to see what's happening.

Ah, so that is probably the reason, I've never really looked deeper into setxkbmap than the standard

setxkbmap no

:p then I'll just figure that out and alias that to arst as I usually did with the standard colemak layout.

Try

setxkbmap -layout "no" -model "pc105" -v 9

This should give you the standard "no" variant. If you've used gnomesettings to change layout it may be more tricky, not sure.

You could also try reading the Configuration section of my Big Bag XKB topic... ;-)

Last edited by DreymaR (10-Apr-2018 09:01:56)

DreymaR said:

Try

setxkbmap -layout "no" -model "pc105" -v 9

This should give you the standard "no" variant. If you've used gnomesettings to change layout it may be more tricky, not sure.

You could also try reading the Configuration section of my Big Bag XKB topic... ;-)

Ah thank you :) I was going to figure it out when I got home, but you were way faster.

No, no, I'm just using openbox and dmenu, so it's nothing complex at all.

Hmm, I need to get around to RTFM it seems ;)

Hey very sorry for getting to this late, I was in a place with limited internet for the last few weeks. My MacBook is just fine, I just grabbed the right files and dumped them in the right directory. My issue is on Linux. It's on a Dell XPS with the US layout. I'm using the DreymaR bag of tricks to set things up

I hope you saw my answer about activating a keyboard model for Curl-DH?

Last edited by DreymaR (24-Apr-2018 14:39:02)

DreymaR said:

I hope you saw my answer about activating a keyboard model for Curl-DH?

Yeah I've been trying different options, and the D and V keys are still in the wrong locations

So what's the output from 'setxkbmap -v 9'?