• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • OSX Layout with momentary CAPS-LOCK backspace but chord CONTROL

OSX Layout with momentary CAPS-LOCK backspace but chord CONTROL

• Started by nicpottier
    • 3 Replies:

Hi all,

Day two into Colemak, so far doing Colemak at night and Qwerty during the day, which surprisingly seems to not have confused my brain too much. (though somewhat for sure)

I am a programmer and spend a lot of time in Emacs and have had my CAPS-LOCK key remapped to control basically for 30 years. That really is a non negotiable. I do like the idea of having CAPS-LOCK as backspace as is default in Colemak though and it occurs to me that I should be able to accomplish both. Use chorded CAPS-LOCK as control and momentary CAPS-LOCK as backspace.

Has anybody made al layout like this? Any tips on creating one if not? I have so far enjoyed the nice default behavior of built in Colemak on OS-X but am willing to work a bit to get this behavior.

PS. I'm using Type-Fu to learn Colemak and thus far I can't recommend it enough. Well done and I like the progression it is following as well as it being in control of when I get to move on to learning new keys. Two days in I am now learning the entire home row, including g and h and I'm coming along well, averaging in the mid 30s on those keys. We'll see how long my progression continues but so far very much enjoying it. (though I'm typing all of this in qwerty still, apologies!)

Hey,

Look into Dreymar's Big Bag topic, focus on the extend layer section. You may find what you are looking for. ;)

I can help you with that and more on Win and Lin and on TMK as well, but on MacOS all my bets are off.

Do have a gander at the Big Bag though, to know all your options!

Last edited by DreymaR (10-Apr-2018 17:53:56)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks guys, from some looking around it looks like Karabiner may be able to do this. Will play around with it this weekend and post if I find a good solution.

• Index
      • Technical
      • OSX Layout with momentary CAPS-LOCK backspace but chord CONTROL