• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Mimick US International's handling of diacritics?

Mimick US International's handling of diacritics?

• Started by leuce
    • 2 Replies:

G'day everyone

I'm quite excited about trying Colemak, but I find the current method for writing diacritics (eg ë, é, ê, etc) too cumbersome.  I don't want to use AltGr in combination with other keys -- I want to use the method employed by US International (whereby certain keys are dead until a second key is pressed).  The AltGr key on my keyboard is in a very uncomfortable position (to reach it with my right-hand thumb, I have to bend the thumb quite a bit, and there is the danger of hitting the Windows key or the spacebar instead).  I'm quite used to the US International method for diacritics.

Do you know of ways to enable the dead key method for Colemak?

Thanks
    Samuel

• Shai
    • Administrator

I'll consider releasing such a version in the future. You can try creating your own layout using The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, the KLC source file is included in the Windows ZIP download. You'd might want to wait a few months until MSKLC 2.0 is out if you don't want to deal with the issues/bugs of the current version (not updated since 2003).

In the meanwhile I suggest experimenting holding the AltGr key with the middle/index/pinky fingers. It might seem a little awkward at first, but it could be more comfortable than hitting it with the thumb.

Shai said:

In the meanwhile I suggest experimenting holding the AltGr key with the middle/index/pinky fingers. It might seem a little awkward at first, but it could be more comfortable than hitting it with the thumb.

Thanks, but IMO it is still too close to the dreaded Windows key (of course, one could disable the Windows key, using various methods, or remap the Windows key to the AltGr so you have two AltGr keys).  In fact, remapping both the righthand Windows key and the Windows context menu it to AltGr may make it easier to hit that key with your ring finger or pinkie.

In the mean time, I've discovered that using the KMapper method allows me to continue using dead keys (but switching between keyboards require rebooting).

• Index
      • Technical
      • Mimick US International's handling of diacritics?