• You are not logged in.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Colemak

• Started by NottNott
  • 80 Replies:
abhixec said:

Are you able to consistently achieve that speed?

Actually got a second 101 WPM today as well, along with mostly 90s. I'd say 90 WPM.

Shoo, NottNottBot, go away with your inhuman typing speed! ^_^

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

Shoo, NottNottBot, go away with your inhuman typing speed! ^_^

01000010 01101100 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100010 01101100 01101111 01101111 01110000

01101000011101000111010001110000011100110011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110100100101101010100100011011101110100001011010110100101101000011011110101010000110100

That sent me right down the uncanny valley I tell you

We're such a band of nerds. :P

Last edited by azuvix (23-Jun-2018 05:26:32)

tl;dr: Vanilla Colemak isn't obsolete, the angle mod isn't perfect for everyone - and both vanilla and DH are amazing layouts and you should find what you like

So I went back to vanilla Colemak after some thinking. I've been on DH for two months, got my 101 WPM peak on it so I'm not inexperienced with it. I think it works well for some people but after this time coming back to vanilla just feels right to me. Here's my two cents:

I couldn't ever get used to the angle mod properly. Without the angle mod I feel comfortable 'cheating' and just using my left index finger to press the 'C' key, and the 'correct' fingers for Z and X. With the angle mod, ZXC seem awkward to press to me. I'm typing on an ISO keyboard, maybe it's because I'm just not left-handed or something. After two months there was still a mental resistance, a feeling of awkwardness when pressing them. It could've been that I was too used to how QWERTY didn't have this mod, but I've managed to shake off everything else about QWERTY when learning Colemak in the first place.The position of C just really didn't settle well with me at all, and I'd always feel awkward pressing it, almost like it would go on to ruin the rest of the typing experience. The angle I'd have to change in my wrist messed up the rest of my touch-typing muscle memory or something. Back on vanilla, I feel like I 'own' my keyboard and the typing experience while something did feel foreign to me on DH.

I want to say contrary to the models I've read online about how DH makes pressing 'D' and 'H' easier, after having used DH I think they're of equal difficulty. It might be just the way my hands naturally approach the keyboard, but coming back to vanilla the 'HE' bigram feels great on vanilla whereas it doesn't feel as great anymore on DH. I remember that this bigram was what sold me on DH in the first place, but now it feels better on vanilla for some reason - I think I didn't like the repetitive aspect of the 'HE' bigram on DH while on vanilla it feels right to me. The extension that you make while pressing the 'H' on vanilla is more comfortable than the curl you need to make or something at a guess. I know the opposite is true for many people and that's why they switch to DH, but that's working in reverse for me here.

I know what I've typed above might get me into some trouble - I'm simply sharing what works best for me as my experience. Many people have an awesome time with DH and think it totally improves on the vanilla experience. I remember a bunch of people sharing their thoughts on the angle mod and how it made typing loads better for them in the Discord server. To these people it works really well! In my case though I never fully got used to it, but I'm really glad I tried it out as now I know what layout I'm going to type on for the foreseeable future. Apparently I'm a 'Colemak pioneer' in the sense I'm one of the first people to use DH and then go back to vanilla.

One final note on this really long post for anyone new to Colemak. I remember when I was starting to learn the layout I felt worried as other people were talking about DH was a 'better' layout than vanilla, almost as if I was wasting my time learning vanilla and I should just skip that and go to DH. The real answer is that it's better for some people. You're better off starting with vanilla (as it's easier to learn when transitioning from QWERTY) then giving DH a solid go for a week or two to see if you like it after you've really nailed vanilla. If I'd have started with DH, well I'd have probably stuck with it to be honest (QWERTY is awful) but it wouldn't have been the perfect experience to me as I think vanilla is.

Last edited by NottNott (18-Jul-2018 12:02:53)

I do agree on one point, at least, that it is probably to the advantage of all to try Colemak as-is first. You will quickly learn what you like and don't like, and of course will have a strong foundation. From there, the leap to DH is not difficult if you choose to go that route, but it is not compulsory. Well, we might strongly encourage it, but that's not the same thing. :P

NottNott said:

I couldn't ever get used to the angle mod properly. Without the angle mod I feel comfortable 'cheating' and just using my left index finger to press the 'C' key, and the 'correct' fingers for Z and X. With the angle mod, ZXC seem awkward to press to me.

I have some sympathy with this. When I first discovered the angle mod, I rejected it for much the same reasons. I realized I had unknowingly been using index finger for C all along, which is very comfortable. Thus applying the angle mod would have moved C (the most common letter in the bottom-left corner) into a worse position, and would require learning a new finger for it. Meanwhile the fairly rare V would occupy the best spot (in default angle mod). Didn't seem an attractive proposition at all, so I stuck with using the "wrong" fingers instead for a while.

This would have remained a satisfactory alternative to the Angle Mod, were it not for the annoying default B position - the worst placed alpha key on the keyboard. In the end I think what makes the angle mod worthwhile - in its modified DH incarnation, is it solves the B issue, plus puts a frequent key (D) in that best spot. But I acknowledge, for people who use the index finger for C, like I used to, adopting the angle mod is hard.

NottNott said:

It might be just the way my hands naturally approach the keyboard, but coming back to vanilla the 'HE' bigram feels great on vanilla

What? Have you gone mad!? :P But seriously, this is the bit I most disagree with. I know there's a lot of subjectivity and YMMV etc, but I find it hard to imagine how the HE bigram in DH is not objectively improved from default Colemak. But then, I suppose I would say that.

On a side note: there would be nothing stopping you, for example, using a layout of left-hand vanilla Colemak, right-hand DH, which would give you improved HE (should you change your mind on that), but without needing to apply the angle mod. Or, you could apply the good old D>P>G switcheroo.

NottNott said:

You're better off starting with vanilla (as it's easier to learn when transitioning from QWERTY) then giving DH a solid go for a week or two to see if you like it after you've really nailed vanilla.

There's no reason why people shouldn't try default Colemak first. In fact, it's probably a good thing: I think there's some value to people "discovering" the HE bigram issue, to convince them of the need for DH first-hand. It's a pretty easy change from vanilla, so I don't really see it as much a waste of time if people didn't go straight to DH. The main annoyance with going vanilla first is probably the G, as you would have learned a new position for it, only for it to revert back to Qwerty.

Last edited by stevep99 (18-Jul-2018 17:02:04)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Thanks for an interesting write-up! Much food for thought there. :-)

What I'm wondering about is the wrist angle. Do you keep both wrists straight while typing? Because that's what caused me to invent the Angle mod in the first place: The evil contortion of the left wrist when typing ZXC unmodded. I realize that many people use the Angle-Cheat as an answer to that, hitting C with the index finger but then the bigrams with C vs PBTGVD are worse and the index finger gets more load than even a strong finger deserves I think. And the middle finger which is also strong becomes underused.

Apart from the angle though, these aren't major arguments. But do you manage to avoid ulnar deviation somehow?

stevep99 said:

What? Have you gone mad!? :P

AHHHHHH!!! But seriously... :)

stevep99 said:

I find it hard to imagine how the HE bigram in DH is not objectively improved from default Colemak.

I don't know - both now feel pretty good to me, although I do remember the DH bigram feeling better before having actually tried DH properly. After giving some time to use it properly, I don't object to either bigram by much and I don't really have a preference on closer thought. I thought the HE bigram was a pain after repeated use on loads of fast-paced typing tests (i.e not typical use) on both layouts. I didn't like the curl motion, but before I switched to DH I didn't like the stretch motion. Vanilla Colemak nostalgia was probably talking when I said I 'prefered' the stretching motion :). No preference?

stevep99 said:

On a side note: there would be nothing stopping you, for example, using a layout of left-hand vanilla Colemak, right-hand DH, which would give you improved HE

I was going to say 'use DH without the angle mod' but that doesn't actually work haha... I'm a bit of a pragmatist and wouldn't want to fragment my keyboard to be even less standard than it already is (I know, I know). As a 'perfect' solution this would definitely be great however! Just like the 'H' on either layout, I'm realising I don't really mind the 'D' either... this isn't what you want to hear but it's what I think!

A lot of people really love DH and I can see why, I just never cracked the angle mod personally!

DreymaR said:

What I'm wondering about is the wrist angle. Do you keep both wrists straight while typing? Because that's what caused me to invent the Angle mod in the first place: The evil contortion of the left wrist when typing ZXC unmodded.

I do keep my wrists straight, for some reason I found I got evil contortions with the angle mod that I don't get without the mod. Pressing the 'Z' feels nasty with my pinky on the angle mod where it feels fine without it - I have to contort my wrists with the mod. What am I doing wrong?

DreymaR said:

But do you manage to avoid ulnar deviation somehow?

I've actually never had serious discomfort while typing before getting into any of this funnily enough. I had to look that up and I can't say I've ever suffered (might do when I'm older)

DreymaR said:

Apart from the angle though, these aren't major arguments.

Damn straight, compared to you legends over time I've come to accept I don't know anything about keyboard ergonomics! I can only really go by subjective experience without investing a lot of time into understanding a lot of the science, and subjectively both layouts feel pretty damn good to me. So basically, I'm trying to justify out loud why I'm going against the grain with poor reasoning ;)

I've started with vanilla Colemak as the most of us, but I always practiced the "correct" fingers assignments and never even thought about a possibility to press C with index finger. As a result of that, my keyboard was a little tilted on the desk, left corner higher than the right corner, to compensate the weird left hand movements a little bit. I've practiced the Angle mod in applying it to vanilla Colemak first, then switched to DH. IMO, the angle mod is a real improvement for any layout, but only if you using correct fingers, angle-cheat eventually achieve the same result, but with less chances for common approach, as everybody can do angle-cheat differently. I also felt not quite right about the angle mod, but my resolution for that is different. Colemak-DH is not existing without the angle mod, D position is not an optimal in that case, but this is true for the row-staggered keyboard only. I've get rid of angle mod by migrating to columnar staggered keyboards where the angle mod is not applicable and so Colemak-DH makes perfect sense without it.
And just remember that position of D and H in Colemak is not a joke and the entire Workman schism was started because of it. Colemak-DH IMO is much better answer to that issue than Workman, while Workman is quite popular as well. Colemak is probably lost significant amount of users who came to Workman because of Colemak's DH in the middle columns.

NottNott said:

Just like the 'H' on either layout, I'm realising I don't really mind the 'D' either... [...] A lot of people really love DH and I can see why, I just never cracked the angle mod personally!

I do keep my wrists straight, for some reason I found I got evil contortions with the angle mod that I don't get without the mod. Pressing the 'Z' feels nasty with my pinky on the angle mod where it feels fine without it - I have to contort my wrists with the mod. What am I doing wrong?

I'm okay with you not minding D or H! I think that's fair enough. Claiming that the HE bigram is as good without DH as with sounds strange to me but I fully believe that vanilla works very well for you and that's fine isn't it.

You know, we gave the DH mod a good spin after SteveP invented it, even trying out different variants. The DH variants were both good I think, in very slightly different ways. At the end we settled for a slightly more involved and slightly better (I think!) variant, but one may feel that perfection is the enemy of good at times.

Your trouble with the Angle mod has soured the DH mod for you and I think we should all keep in mind that vanilla Colemak is a very good layout by (nearly) any workable standard! So I'm fine with your choice. I plan to support both vanilla and CAW Colemak in the foreseeable future, for similar reasons.

Now, regarding wrist angles: To keep your wrists straight (horizontally) and hit Z or X without an Angle mod, your hand has to float laterally. With an Angle mod, the pinky or ring finger curl down to hit Z and X. I'm guessing you find the hand float comfortable and the finger curl not. Again, fair enough. The big enemy is the classical way of thinking that the hands should be horizontally aligned with the home row, which will create an unergonomic ulnar deviation (now that you've looked it up, hehe!). For both hands, actually, but worst for the left hand since it'll easily have to increase its wrist angle to hit Z/X without floating the hand.

Hand float may alleviate a lot of potential layout trouble! With float, both the middle trench and the angle positions are no biggies anymore. But at least some of us feel that float should be an "icing on the cake" and not something to rely heavily on if the layout could be modified to demand less of it. But top-notch typists float all over the place anyway I think. So I don't know if there's an answer written in stone to this one.

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Jul-2018 11:42:27)

I think it's swings and roundabouts, it's very well to claim that the HE bigram is bad, but by simply placing my fingers in the vanilla bigram position (not pressing the keys) it feels more comfortable to me than the DH position.

ckofy said:

And just remember that position of D and H in Colemak is not a joke and the entire Workman schism was started because of it.

I think people come into alternate layouts with a given natural placement that their hands will be when learning the layout, so while for me the DH columns are fine, for others they're a serious issue. Or some typists suffer from RSI and are looking to min-max their experience. Maybe I've got a shorter pinky than the average angle mod typist. There are a lot of variables, but the number of people in our community is too small to have 'real world surveys' into the effectiveness of a given setup, so we use effort models instead, which won't be the full story for everyone.

ckofy said:

columnar staggered keyboards

I need to try one!!!

DreymaR said:

Hand float may alleviate a lot of potential layout trouble! With float, both the middle trench and the angle positions are no biggies anymore. But at least some of us feel that float should be an "icing on the cake" and not something to rely heavily on if the layout could be modified to demand less of it. But top-notch typists float all over the place anyway I think. So I don't know if there's an answer written in stone to this one.

Sounds pretty good to me. I'm a fairly quick typist, and I think I use a fair bit of hand float. I hate for example pressing 'Z' on DH because I have to stretch my pinky out too far, or I'd have to unnaturally float over in a way that I'm not really used to, plus floating further to the left means I have to float further over to the right to hit characters afterward. For me that's a mess, but 'Z' on vanilla is a much more comfortable curl downward to hit the 'Z' and my hand has moved less.

NottNott said:

It's very well to claim that the HE bigram is bad, but by simply placing my fingers in the vanilla bigram position (not pressing the keys) it feels more comfortable to me than the DH position.

Whoa, so to you this:

+=======+=======+=======+
| H     | N     | E     |
| Index |   •   | Middl |

...is more comfortable than this:

+=======+=======+
        | N     | E     |
        |   •   | Middl |
        +===+===+===+===+
            | H     |
            | Index |
            +=======+

I don't get that at all. The vanilla is a stretch over two keys for two neighbouring fingers. The DH position feels so very very smooth to me.

I also don't understand how the hand can move less to hit the vanilla Z position than the Angle one. Unless by that you mean the ANSI Angle-Z position, hehe! But you're on ISO so no. With Angle I can hit Z merely by curling the pinky so the hand movement is zero. To reach the vanilla Z position with the pinky without bending the wrist, my hand has to float down-and-in.

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Jul-2018 14:24:50)

Perchance his right index finger is unnaturally bent to the left and slightly longer than average? :P

DreymaR said:

Whoa, so to you this:

| H     | N     | E     |
| Index |   •   | Middl |

...is more comfortable than this:

+=======+=======+
        | N     | E     |
        |   •   | Middl |
        +===+===+===+===+
            | H     |
            | Index |
            +=======+

I don't get that at all. The vanilla is a stretch over two keys for two neighbouring fingers. The DH position feels so very very smooth to me.

Yes, that's it! I just tried it again and I'm sticking to my guns. It doesn't make sense, but I honestly think that I prefer the stretch motion on vanilla to the curling motion on DH.

DreymaR said:

I also don't understand how the hand can move less to hit the vanilla Z position than the Angle one. Unless by that you mean the ANSI Angle-Z position, hehe! But you're on ISO so no. With Angle I can hit Z merely by curling the pinky so the hand movement is zero. To reach the vanilla Z position with the pinky without bending the wrist, my hand has to float down-and-in.

Correct, I'm on ISO. I've bolded the point about curling the finger as this is the exact motion I don't like in my fingers, it stresses my pinky slighly in an uncomfortable way and makes me tilt my wrist slightly too where I usually don't have to while typing. It's easier to make a bigger wrist movement (say pressing the left shift) than the slight motion that would be required not to have to curl my pinky to press the Z key. Slight motions aren't nice.

azuvix said:

Perchance his right index finger is unnaturally bent to the left and slightly longer than average? :P

Even though you were joking you did actually get me to check haha

Hehe. Isn't the power of suggestion wonderful? ;) I'll acknowledge that some anatomical differences make a difference in typing, but an especially stark difference like that would be something to see!

NottNott said:

It's easier to make a bigger wrist movement (say pressing the left shift) than the slight motion that would be required not to have to curl my pinky to press the Z key. Slight motions aren't nice.

Do you know that I heard the same reasoning from some qwerty typists, saying that big movements in qwerty allow to increase accuracy, while slight motions in Colemak home row is prone to errors?

ckofy said:

Do you know that I heard the same reasoning from some qwerty typists, saying that big movements in qwerty allow to increase accuracy, while slight motions in Colemak home row is prone to errors?

I'd say it's one thing to say something without trying it, but it's certainly another to have tried something extensively and figure out it's not for you. I learnt Colemak pretty comfortably in a month, but it took me two months to figure out the 'Z' placement wasn't cutting it for me :/

I tend to agree on that point at least. Large motions, by their nature, do not necessarily profit you anything - or at least, we have no reason to suppose that this seemingly intuitive notion reflects some universal reality.

We need only reason deductively to see how how necessarily true the claim is - if, by nature, large distances between letters are necessary for accuracy at high speed, then fast typing in a layout which does not create large distance between the letters will yield more errors for typists as they type at speed. As experience and tests so far show, Colemak typists are about as accurate as QWERTY typists when typing at similar speed. Therefore, the notion has not been demonstrated to be true universally and asserting it universally is not justified if this line of reasoning is sound.

One could advance the idea that this an inductive argument and is stronger in this form, but then you're arguing on more probabilistic grounds. To the best of my knowledge, the "spread" argument has never been tested specifically enough to say how much spread apparently contributes to accuracy, for whom it does so, and whether or not accuracy is more probable with or without it. Add that to the fact that it would only take one good counterexample to raise questions about the conclusions we may draw, and an inductive version of the spread argument begins to look very inconclusive so far. It would not be prudent to make positive probabilistic claims when nothing seems to support them yet.

I would even go so far as to say that it seems experience and practice are probably removing whatever advantage that greater distance provides inherently, if there is such an advantage in the first place.

Last edited by azuvix (21-Jul-2018 01:46:16)

If large distances were deemed to be somehow "better", then Qwerty still wouldn't be optimal. Instead there would be a band of keyboard enthusiasts singing the praises of something like this. I suspect that's not likely to happen.

NottNott, what angle do your arms come in at to approach the keyboard? To make the HE bigram closer to being more bearable in vanilla than in DH, I imagine your arms would have to come almost at right angles to the keyboard. My arms come in at, I'd estimate, maybe a 20° angle from the orthogonal, which works well both for making both the angle mod, and the new HE bigram, very nice.

Last edited by stevep99 (21-Jul-2018 18:49:17)

stevep99 said:

NottNott, what angle do your arms come in at to approach the keyboard? To make the HE bigram closer to being more bearable in vanilla than in DH, I imagine your arms would have to come almost at right angles to the keyboard. My arms come in at, I'd estimate, maybe a 20° angle from the orthogonal, which works well both for making both the angle mod, and the new HE bigram, very nice.

I'd say they come in at about 40 degrees. I think it's more the curling motion vs the stretching motion that would make one more comfortable in the other. I think on the whole I'm willing to say that both placements of H are comparably comfortable to me, with no problems with the vanilla placement to the point where I'd want to change it that much. So then I'd factor in how I never got used to the angle mod, and vanilla seems the better option to me by that point.

This is a great write-up, and I share the feelings! I am exactly one of the users you describe in the last paragraph and I am happy to see someone give vanilla Colemak the props it deserves. I tried, and it just sits better with me as well.

Only thing that I would add as something I have noticed that I have not see discussed much: angle of hitting the key. When on the homerow, you hit the keys at the natural angle you are most comfortable with. When you hit the bottom row, this angle is naturally different. So although moving your index finger sideways might not be as comfortable as curling it down, actually hitting the H button on the homerow is more comfortable for me, rather than hitting a key on the bottom row.

I think nobody in the history of mankind is going to spend as much time as Dvorak studying people typing, and all his observations led him to the conclusion that the bottom row is the least optimal one for typing. I think definitely there is something to that. It is not just how your fingers move, it is what they do when they get there.

After all, the H has been where it is since the first ancient QWERTY typewriter, and it is one of the things I have actually not seen people complain about with QWERTY.

NottNott said:

tl;dr: Vanilla Colemak isn't obsolete, the angle mod isn't perfect for everyone - and both vanilla and DH are amazing layouts and you should find what you like

So I went back to vanilla Colemak after some thinking. I've been on DH for two months, got my 101 WPM peak on it so I'm not inexperienced with it. I think it works well for some people but after this time coming back to vanilla just feels right to me. Here's my two cents:

I couldn't ever get used to the angle mod properly. Without the angle mod I feel comfortable 'cheating' and just using my left index finger to press the 'C' key, and the 'correct' fingers for Z and X. With the angle mod, ZXC seem awkward to press to me. I'm typing on an ISO keyboard, maybe it's because I'm just not left-handed or something. After two months there was still a mental resistance, a feeling of awkwardness when pressing them. It could've been that I was too used to how QWERTY didn't have this mod, but I've managed to shake off everything else about QWERTY when learning Colemak in the first place.The position of C just really didn't settle well with me at all, and I'd always feel awkward pressing it, almost like it would go on to ruin the rest of the typing experience. The angle I'd have to change in my wrist messed up the rest of my touch-typing muscle memory or something. Back on vanilla, I feel like I 'own' my keyboard and the typing experience while something did feel foreign to me on DH.

I want to say contrary to the models I've read online about how DH makes pressing 'D' and 'H' easier, after having used DH I think they're of equal difficulty. It might be just the way my hands naturally approach the keyboard, but coming back to vanilla the 'HE' bigram feels great on vanilla whereas it doesn't feel as great anymore on DH. I remember that this bigram was what sold me on DH in the first place, but now it feels better on vanilla for some reason - I think I didn't like the repetitive aspect of the 'HE' bigram on DH while on vanilla it feels right to me. The extension that you make while pressing the 'H' on vanilla is more comfortable than the curl you need to make or something at a guess. I know the opposite is true for many people and that's why they switch to DH, but that's working in reverse for me here.

I know what I've typed above might get me into some trouble - I'm simply sharing what works best for me as my experience. Many people have an awesome time with DH and think it totally improves on the vanilla experience. I remember a bunch of people sharing their thoughts on the angle mod and how it made typing loads better for them in the Discord server. To these people it works really well! In my case though I never fully got used to it, but I'm really glad I tried it out as now I know what layout I'm going to type on for the foreseeable future. Apparently I'm a 'Colemak pioneer' in the sense I'm one of the first people to use DH and then go back to vanilla.

One final note on this really long post for anyone new to Colemak. I remember when I was starting to learn the layout I felt worried as other people were talking about DH was a 'better' layout than vanilla, almost as if I was wasting my time learning vanilla and I should just skip that and go to DH. The real answer is that it's better for some people. You're better off starting with vanilla (as it's easier to learn when transitioning from QWERTY) then giving DH a solid go for a week or two to see if you like it after you've really nailed vanilla. If I'd have started with DH, well I'd have probably stuck with it to be honest (QWERTY is awful) but it wouldn't have been the perfect experience to me as I think vanilla is.

This issue does seem to split people, some have no problem with the middle column G/H keys, others are strongly averse to them. That's fine, of course.

realArst said:

I think nobody in the history of mankind is going to spend as much time as Dvorak studying people typing, and all his observations led him to the conclusion that the bottom row is the least optimal one for typing. I think definitely there is something to that. It is not just how your fingers move, it is what they do when they get there.

I don't think this is a very good argument:

For one, Dvorak's studies were done in the age of typewriters; I don't think the experience directly translates to modern computer keyboards. I think it's possible that the Qwerty C/M positions might be less good on a typewriter compared to a keyboard. Mind you, I haven't used a proper typewriter for about 30 years so who knows.

For two, for all his "more than in the history of mankind" studies, the layout he came up with is still less good (in my opinion at least, but lots of others as well) than even vanilla Colemak. Don't get me wrong, he deserves credit for trying to improve on Qwerty and the DSK layout is obviously a huge improvement, but it nonetheless has sufficient flaws that I don't think you can accept his findings uncritically.

realArst said:

After all, the H has been where it is since the first ancient QWERTY typewriter, and it is one of the things I have actually not seen people complain about with QWERTY.

Well, remember in Qwerty, the right-hand home row is H J K L ;  - there is very little opportunity for awkward bigrams involving those keys. People might complain about HI or HO, but then Qwerty is terrible in so many respects that I think such problems go unnoticed, lost in the noise of all the other things that are wrong with it.

Last edited by stevep99 (24-Jul-2018 17:48:22)