• You are not logged in.

Beginners question - writing German

• Started by CoolCole
    • 3 Replies:

Hello there!

Usually I am not asking stuff directly on the internet but here I found no cool solution for myself by reading all the wiki and all that linked threads to this forum.
    Colemak is new to me. I want to switch. I have a descent keyboard - Cherry MX-Board with the brown switches ;)
    But right now I am a little bit confused. I hope you can clear that up a bit for me.

And I am typing in English as in German. Maybe statisticly ä, ü and ö aren't that relevant but for me they are.
    But the only way to type those letters is by using some combination of AltGR+? Am I missing the point? AltGr is the button right of the space bar. I have to move my whole hand to get there. And ö and ü are even on the same left hand.

So I looked further and found the BigBagKbdTrixPKL tool which is great! Thanks for that!
    It's a pity that the underlying software isn't allowing a modular combining approach.
    So the DE layout is only available with Curl and AWide mod which is for me a little bit too much of mod. Sticking with the "classic" ISO layout (no mods) I saw no way to type my beloved letters üöä. Am I correct?

Or would you say that the Curl AWide mod is perfect in my situation and I am safe to learn that from start?

With best regards,
    Coolcole.

The new PKL[eD] has a modular approach. I've been working hard to make that a fact. The only thing I can't do for you is make help images automatically (you'll need to install Inkscape or Inkscape Portable).

With an ISO keyboard I'll strongly advise you to use at least the Angle mod! It's a near-standard. You don't want to subject your wrists to extensive ulnar deviation while typing, and cheat mods will bite your behind in the long run. Unless you're using matrix keyboards, it really helps a lot while being easy to learn.

As a passionate user of Colemak-CAW (CurlAngleWide), yes, I'd say it's just about perfect. ;-) I think you'll be happy with it. Also, as a locale user myself I must say I find it attractive to have the special letters in the middle of the keyboard. I prefer hitting the []œ keys in the midlde for my æøå (in your case äöü) letters.

But if you don't want to cross that bridge just yet, you can quite easily make your preferred ergo/non-ergo variant of the De layout (minus the images)!
    1) Copy-Paste the layout folder and rename the result to what you want, such as 'Cmk-eD-De_ISO_Angle' for German.
    2) In the layout.ini file in that folder, edit the remap fields to represent the new setting. In this case, 'CmkCAW_ISO' → 'Angle_ISO'
        - For non-DH layouts, Extend uses the same remap as the layout; for Curl(DH)/CAW you need an _ext remap for Extend.
    3) Now, if the PKL_Settings.ini Kbd/Curl/Ergo/Locale settings are right – in this case, ISO/--/Angle/De – you should get the variant you wanted.
    3) If you want updated help images you must get Inkscape, set the HelpImageGenerator to its path if necessary and run the "Create help images..." option.
        - By default, the HIG looks for Inkscape in C:\PortableApps\InkscapePortable\InkscapePortable.exe, so you could just put it there and go.
        - Otherwise, the HIG settings are found in PKL_eD\ImgGenerator\PKL_ImgGen_Settings.ini; hopefully they all make sense.
        - To see the menu option you must have advancedMode active (in PKL_Settings.ini).

There are quicker and dirtier ways of tweaking your layout. This is the most correct approach. Since I type more English than Norwegian these days I just use the AltGr versions of my letters, but for my language they happen to be on the []œ keys! ;-) I also find the Umlaut dead key on semicolon easy to use, so I can type German quite well from the standard Colemak[eD] layout! But of course, if you type long stretches of German that'll get annoying.

Hope that makes you a happy camper! ^_^

Last edited by DreymaR (06-Nov-2018 09:52:58)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks for the detailed response!
    I am currently training hard. Never thougt that I hate the letter i :)
    After thinking about it the curl-awide mod is a nice ergonomic enhancement of my keyboard.

Viel Glück dabei! ^_^

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***