• You are not logged in.

iPhone external keyboard is so easy!

• Started by daaave_reid
    • 2 Replies:

I'm borrowing a Verbatim external Bluetooth keyboard from a coworker, wanting to use it to type notes, using Colemak. I knew I could not change the software keyboard layout on my iPhone 4S to Colemak without jailbreaking, which I do not want to do.

But good news - changing the hardware keyboard layout on the iPhone 4S (iOS 5) is breathtakingly easy! I just went to Settings->General->Keyboard->International Keyboards and choose the first selection (in my case, labeled English). Then I set the Hardware Keyboard Layout to Colemak instead of U.S.

It only took about 30 seconds, and I was typing away on my iPhone with my external keyboard...in Colemak! Hooray!

I recently used an Apple Wireless Keyboard with my iPhone 4S (iOS 7) and I love the Colemak support, but I'm really disappointed that I can't change the Caps Lock key to Delete.  I've fallen in love with this remap and don't want to confuse my muscle memory by learning to use the backspace key again.  I need this remap!

Does anyone know a way to do this?  Or are there any Bluetooth keyboards with hardware Colemak that have this Caps Lock/Delete remapping?

Find me on:  10FastFingers, TypeRacer

Just want to mention that I recently tried this and got it working!

In my case, it didn't work at first because I was using an old wireless keyboard I purchased in Japan. My iPhone keyboard settings were in English(Japan), but when I switched to English(US) I could select colemak.

Very stoked to be able to type in colemak on my iphone!!!