• You are not logged in.

The word "you"

• Started by youBane
  • 58 Replies:

i came here searching for my experiences thread so i could append to it. it took me a while to find this. i should have given it a better title.

i've been using colemak for about 4 years now. what i want to comment on is that my typing speed plateaued at about 80 wpm, which is interesting, because that's where my qwerty typing speed was. i don't actively practise. i'm sure it could get higher, but what's interesting is that it settled around 80 wpm regardless of the improved layout of colemak. seems my typing speed before wasn't limited by qwerty but is just about how fast i like to move my fingers. that being said, i wouldn't switch back to qwerty. the few times i've had to type in qwerty, it annoyed me how much my fingers bounce around.

i'm typing on a happy hacking keyboard these days. it's the best keyboard i've owned and i don't see any that are better. it's worth noting because the control key is in place of where colemak places the backspace, and in my experience, the control key is much better in the caps lock space because it allows me to use many commands with my left hand while keeping my right hand on my mouse. also, the backspace key is closer on the happy hacking (it's just above the enter key)

Yeah, I believe that the main speed difference is due to better flow and comfort, and better training. So unless you train for it, your Colemak speed will only be a little higher than your QWERTY speed. But I'm guessing that you typed QWERTY for more than 4 years? So it may still improve a little. My Colemak speed has kept improving ever since 2007. But not by great leaps and bounds, and most of the time hardly noticeably.

Last edited by DreymaR (18-Mar-2018 17:19:10)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

i've been playing ffxiv on a japanese server and need to be able to type japanese. japanese is typed using romaji which uses qwerty layout. ever since learning colemak, i've forgotten the qwerty layout. now i'm relearning it. i'm up to about 30 wpm in qwerty. i alternate between qwerty and colemak so i can keep in practice with both, but the better i get at qwerty, the more it messes with colemak. i sometimes find myself paralyzed when trying to type colemak because i forgot where all the keys are! (they've long since become muscle memory and i don't really know where they are)

I'm working on a Romaji-Kana Colemak layout for PKL. Would that enable you to type Japanese well? I'm not sure how the Kanji are made; is it interlinked with the kana or will producing a kana sequence in any way enable the Kanji IME? If that made sense...

i hardly know myself, but the kanji are made by typing romaji, which produces hiragana, then pressing the spacebar, so the ime is necessary
for example, when playing ffxiv, i often need to use the colors red, blue, and green
so i type red: aka -> あか
then i press spacebar and it converts to kanji: 赤

this is only possible when i have the japanese ime activated as my keyboard mapping

Last edited by youBane (17-Jan-2019 20:38:53)

Yeah, I was worried about that. I think the IME works directly from the Romaji. Which means that my idea of a Romaji-Kana PKL layout won't be so useful after all since it can't make Kanji and those aren't made from kana directly but from romaji->kana.

Or would anyone be interested in a layout only for hiragana/katakana?

Last edited by DreymaR (17-Jan-2019 21:05:41)

not me. i want kanji. i’ll just have to keep trudging along with qwerty. it helps when i need to type on playstation too because ps4 doesn’t have colemak

The way to get Colemak on PS4 and Romaji-Kanji and stuff might be to use a QUICKIE. Check it out in my BigBag TMK topic.

I always end up typing oyu, somehow I press o before y, it's embedded in my muscles