• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Windows update 190215 disables custom keyboard layouts

Windows update 190215 disables custom keyboard layouts

• Started by mbenna
    • 6 Replies:

Has anyone else had their Colemak layout disabled with the latest upgrade? I'm on the insider slow ring and after the latest Windows upgrade I'm back to hunting and pecking with qwerty :(. I'm sure this will affect many others as soon as it rolls out to a wider audience.

Attempting to uninstall/re-install fails. This is what I am trying to re-install: https://forum.colemak.com/topic/1621-co … backspace/

Error message on re-install is "The keyboard DLL file supporting Colemak (named colemak.dll) already exists on this machine in the system directory. Installation cannot continue."

I'm not sure how to proceed. My first thought is that this will affect all custom keyboard layouts, not just colemak. Does anyone know what was used to build that layout? I wonder if there is a wider audience of people we can rally together to help solve this problem.

All suggestions are welcome! Thank you.

Last edited by mbenna (09-Mar-2019 17:08:30)

Hmmm. This is one of the many reasons I prefer using EPKL over an installed layout. If the installed layout gets corrupted Windows gets sad.

The layout was built using Microsoft's own tool, MSKLC. So it doesn't get much better I guess. And indeed that shouldn't happen. But I can easily understand that MS don't test such scenarios for each upgrade.

Besides, EPKL has lots of extras that you'll learn to love. The most awesome one being Extend.

Last edited by DreymaR (13-Mar-2019 11:23:33)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

another reason not to use microsoft :P

if you are using linux you can just type the following at a terminal :
    setxkbmap us -variant colemak

sorry that doesn't help you much but you know what they say... friends don't let friends do microsoft.

Because there's no conceivable way a Linux install can get borked, right...  ୧(  x﹏x)୨

Fanboi-ism doesn't help, really. I've had about as many frustrations over every platform I've used so they all have their sides for better and worse. Let's focus on the issue at hand.

Friends don't let friends do bigotry.  d( ^◇^)b

Last edited by DreymaR (13-Mar-2019 11:22:18)

• Shai
    • Administrator

From your description, I'm guessing the update messed up some registry entries for Colemak.
    Uninstalling and cleaning out any leftover registry items may fix you problem.

Warning: do this at your own risk only if you know what you're doing. Create a restore point first.

If this is an issue with the final version, I might create a tool to automatically clear out the leftover registry items.

I don't think it's an issue with the install, but with the way layouts are installed in general. It's a bit vulnerable.

DreymaR said:

Because there's no conceivable way a Linux install can get borked, right...  ୧(  x﹏x)୨

Linux layout support has gotten worse for me over the years.  And I thought it was just me who ran into corners with Windows!

I'd have thought with internationalisation, all this would have gotten much better.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

• Index
      • Technical
      • Windows update 190215 disables custom keyboard layouts