• You are not logged in.

What is this fresh azerty hell?

• Started by pinkyache
    • 5 Replies:

http://norme-azerty.fr/

Excuse title, assume this is some improvement?  Discuss...

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

It's a marginal improvement of an inherently rotten layout, basically. AZERTY is possibly even worse than QWERTY, also for French, from what I've heard. So the reason for using it would mainly be social inertia.

However, the new fixes have brought some useful letters such as è to better places by using the AltGr key more. So that's not too horrible in itself. But obviously it doesn't fix the hellish horror that is AZERTY.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Why don't they switch the Q and A, at least that would bring it up to being roughly as good as Qwerty.

There was this report a while back. Is this supposed to be related to that? I can't read French.

Last edited by stevep99 (04-Apr-2019 16:12:42)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Somewhat amusingly, the 1870 predecessor to QWERTY had the A in the upper left corner as it had the first vowels in alphabetic sequence AEI on the top row. I have no idea whether that's related to AZERTY or a coincidence.

So, while the rest of the world type as if it were 1878, the French seem to be even more backwards... ;-)

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Apr-2019 09:02:57)

The reasons for changing the standard basically boil down to:

• Not being able to type capital Ç (Cedilla) in words like Ça, due to ç being on the unshifted number row

• Not being able to type the French œ ligature (relatively common) and æ (uncommon), current text editing software like Word must be used for traditional AZERTY

• Having ù on the top layer even though Où (Where) is the only word which uses it

• Not having «, » (left/right guillemets)

It concerned the ministry of culture that some people claimed capital Ç is not a valid character (even in hand written text) and you were not able to type correct French. As such they tasked AFNOR to create a new standard so that people can type correct French.

Both "Le nouvel AZERTY" and "BÉPO" are voluntary standads, but neither seems to be gathering much attention despite this news.

Last edited by vaskozl (15-Apr-2019 14:05:50)

Posted without the aid of a rodent.

Would've been so nice if BÉPO and Colemak got some attention as alternatives to AZERTY! But that's just yet another missed opportunity I guess.