• You are not logged in.

tarmak and bilingual transition

• Started by jaroslaw
    • 3 Replies:

https://10fastfingers.com/user/1792760/

I have reached 38wpm today. It is still not enough but will probably get better soon.
    I had some problem with switching because I decided I will type with qwerty when typing in Japanese. and i switch A LOT daily. I'm still getting confused sometimes.

I also decided to use my custom extend layer on caps lock (mostly arrows and backspace) and I have one dead key for symbols between "o" and enter.

Colemak is comfortable so I probably won't switching back. I am still not sure what to do about the Japanese.

Last edited by jaroslaw (16-Apr-2019 07:44:29)

If your Extend layer is mostly arrows and Back, you should seriously consider adding home row modifiers! They up your game something fierce.

Since a Japanese IME should use letter mnemonics (I think?) it makes more sense to me to base it on Colemak since you type latin letters with Colemak. I think it's possible to keep both QWERTY and Colemak fresh though; I just don't want to.

Last edited by DreymaR (17-Apr-2019 10:37:14)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Well, my typing speed is currently not the best on colemak (40wpm), so I will think about switching my Japanese when I get comfortable with colemak.
    Also, am thinking about dh mod but its more non-standard so currently no.
    I am still figuring out how to place symbols and number, everything except home how is kinda uncomfortable.
    Also I use a few symbol combinations, for example => , (), ();
    Dead key on the right pinky next to O is quite nice.
    I also tried mouse movement on keyboard but feels weird.

I will try modifiers though, thanks. Actually decided to go with similar key positions as in your extend layer. Works great for arrows and backspace.

About the Japanese keyboard, I think it could use something other than colemak since bigram situation is very different

rFEs2jM.png

Last edited by jaroslaw (19-Apr-2019 11:02:37)

The big question is whether you want to use two layouts or whether having one layout is the best after all. I think Colemak could work decently for Japanese kana.

Are you on Windows? If you use my EPKL, you can have Extend mappings that input for instance (); then move the cursor between the parentheses! Like an IDE light if you like. You could do the same with, e.g., AltGr or dead key mappings if you wish.

I recommend Colemak-DH and ideally a Wide mod too! You'll deviate from the OS-packed layout soon enough anyway if you're a little adventurous and want what's best for you. Plus, Colemak-ⲔⲰ[eD] is awesome!  d( ^◇^)b

Last edited by DreymaR (23-Apr-2019 13:41:11)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***