• You are not logged in.

How to get rid of AltGr mapping?

• Started by makarov
    • 5 Replies:

I am using Windows 10. How can I disable AltGr in Colemak and return that key to RightAlt? I find Windows shortcuts that I can do with both hands to be more valuable than AltGr.

Example shortcuts I use all the time are RightAlt + Tab for instant window toggle and RightAlt + F4 to close a window. Neither works with AltGr.

I have tried SharpKeys but for some reason it barfs on AltGr, can't accept it for remapping. When I enter AltGr > RightAlt in SharpKeys, it seems to write it to the registry as RightAlt > RightAlt.

Did you use the MSKLC installer? If so, that's set to use AltGr. You could edit the .klc file with MSKLC to set it to two-level, but that's a bit technical.

Another option is to use EPKL instead. I could walk you through the how-to.

This isn't an issue for SharpKeys a.k.a. registry remapping. The keyboard sends RAlt and the OS layout turns that into LCtrl+RAlt=AltGr, so you couldn't remap it away.

Last edited by DreymaR (06-May-2019 08:28:45)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Could you hint how to edit the .klc file? I've solved the other issue by editing it, so guess I'm locked into this path.

I have to attest the most time-consumind part of the switch to Colemak has been the computer configuration. Learning the new layout was a breeze, one evening in keyboard trainer to remember the key positions, followed by cold-turkey real usage. I think the user-unfriendly setup and lack of pre-configured support in Windows is the biggest issue, especially when dealing with multi-language setups. I understand fine-tuning the configuration is not difficult for a computer geek, just I don't have time to be one :).

Last edited by makarov (05-Jul-2019 16:00:16)

As the maker of EPKL (besides Farkas Máté who made PKL) I try to support it. I can't support MSKLC though, and I don't remember how to do that. I do remember that editing modifiers is, as I said, technical. You can't use the GUI for such things, and have to compile manually.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I remapped RightAlt to LeftAlt with SharpKeys.

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

spremino said:

I remapped RightAlt to LeftAlt with SharpKeys.

My fault! Indeed that works! Problem solved.

(I had forgotten that I earlier remapped my mac's keyboard control keys, therefore it was barfing on a duplicate reassignment. Just editing my original reassignment to LeftAlt has worked. Oh well.)

Last edited by makarov (12-Aug-2019 14:44:59)