• You are not logged in.

Problem running EPKL with LAlt as Extend

• Started by snth
    • 3 Replies:

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to get EPKL working on Windows 10.

My setup is that I have my modifier keys rotated as follows (using Sharpkeys):

RCtrl -> RShift -> AltGr -> RWin -> RCtrl

Left hand side would be analogous (LCtrl -> LShift -> LAlt -> LWin -> LCtrl), with the only difference that I have CAPSLOCK mapped to LAlt so that I can use LAlt as the Extend key with the standard pkl_eD or EPKL config.

This mostly works with pkl_eD but I can't get Extend to work with EPKL. That said I do experience the occasional problem with pkl_eD where the SHIFT state stays active for an extra keypress after a Capital letter (so things tend to end up looking like this: CApitalised WOrds). I think I've read DreymaR say before that the Alt keys are different as the up and down presses registering as separate events.

Does anyone have any experience / workarounds for this? @stevep99 do you not have a similar layout with LAlt and RAlt as Extend and RShift respectively?

If you've remapped keys with SharpKeys they're low-level remapped. As far as AutoHotkey including PKL/EPKL is concerned, you're pressing the remapped keys. So that shouldn't be the issue here at all unless there are hardware differences (such as the Caps key on some Apple boards behaving differently from other keys).

Yes, using AHK with the Alt keys is tricky and I try not to. So if I were to use the physical LAlt key for Extend that might work but then I'd get into trouble turning another key into the LAlt. If you have swapped those with SharpKeys it shouldn't be a problem though.

All in all I don't understand what your problem is; maybe you didn't describe it fully? Maybe you're using an older layout format? The Extend definitions have changed since PKL_eD.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Ok thanks for the feedback. I'll try to run it again when I have some time and give a more detailed description.

I didn't port over any of my own customizations and just tried to run a stock EPKL ANSI-CurlDH layout. However I couldn't get any Extend layer keys to activate at all, i.e. that whole layer didn't work. I tried configuring different Extend modifier keys but no luck.

Last edited by snth (23-Jul-2019 08:36:30)

Hmmm, could be the Extend settings aren't properly configured for all layouts right now. Does it work for the default layout (Cmk-CAW[eD]-ISO)?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***