• You are not logged in.

Colemak mod dh on a 30% ortho

• Started by neoberg
    • 3 Replies:

Hi. I use a 30% keyboard (33keys). I've been using a qwerty layout like this. (lower and raise are layer switch & space).

Recently I decided to give colemak mod dh a try and made this layout.

I didn't want modify colemak dh so I changed the locations of lower raise and enter. Now alphas are good and easy to reach from the home position but space and enter requires a lateral movement of 2 keys. does anyone have an idea about improving this?

Last edited by neoberg (30-Jul-2019 13:03:00)

Looks nice, grats!

The only question I can think of there is whether you prefer HMK with M in the corner (the standard DH mod) or HKM with M in the middle (the DHm variant; SteveP's original DH mod). Some matrix users want the M in the middle because they dislike the corner position and M is more common than K.

Last edited by DreymaR (30-Jul-2019 13:08:29)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

Looks nice, grats!

The only question I can think of there is whether you prefer HMK with M in the corner (the standard DH mod) or HKM with M in the middle (the DHm variant; SteveP's original DH mod). Some matrix users want the M in the middle because they dislike the corner position and M is more common than K.

Thanks I switched to DHm. I'm still trying to find a solution to enter and spaces :(

DHm user here. What solution do you expect? This keyboard just has not enough keys, the bottom row that would be ideal for thumbs use is completely missed. Your original qwerty layout is a compromise as well. I would recommend you to switch to Planck at least, there you will have a plenty of keys for space,enter, and layer modifiers. My daily driver is Corne (42 keys), it has three thumb keys for each thumb, it is split and it is ergo (columnar staggered).
    You can put Enter in a layer, but there is no good place for space anyway. Personally, I look to Gherkin or similar ortho keyboards with just three rows at to a temporary solutions, not a keyboard for daily usage. I have a Butterstick keyboard now though (2 rows), but I use it with chords and mostly as a toy.

Last edited by ckofy (30-Jul-2019 18:59:56)