• You are not logged in.

U and the O key

• Started by ChesterKing
    • 8 Replies:

The only problem keys was the U key which put strain in the right hand
    And typing O on the weak pinky finger or typing two in succession slowed you down

Last edited by ChesterKing (17-Aug-2019 09:29:25)

Some people hardly use their right pinky while typing on QWERTY. I wasn't aware of that until it was mentioned on the Discord. If you're one of those, then yes – getting O on the pinky's home position will be a challenge at first. I think you'll get comfortable with it soon enough though.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

So, typing A with a weak pinky finger is not a problem? Don't you see a contradiction here? IMO this is an advantage of Colemak's design that it gave a chore duty for pinkies that does not require them to jump around but still use them regularly and unload other fingers this way. Typing rolls pinky-to-index or other way is also quite easy and gives more good rolls in the layout.
    Just for comparison, Russian national layout put A and O at the index fingers homing positions, and most frequent consonants around them, and here we go, it is not so unusual to have 3-4-5 same index finger combos there! And that layout does not use pinkies for any serious job, so users truly believe that that is for good, because pinkies are weak (and their pinkies are really weak, they never trained them!).
    I do not quite get what is the issue with U though.

Last edited by ckofy (20-Aug-2019 14:55:14)

Technically, People should use more right pinky not only because they need to type ; " and Enter. 
    If you search for stock photo or most of the video people typing in QWERTY, you will find that people have both their pinky not on the keyboard at all time.  And that's super wrong because of the horrendous layout that QWERTY introduced.
    Pinky needs to be trained more.  You will feel that your pinky is as strong.  I am using my left pinky to press backspace/ shift and it work harder than other fingers a lot of time.

Poetically, "From A to O" means "everything" since Omega is the last letter of the Greek alphabet. Isn't it beautiful then that Colemak encompasses everything within the boundaries of your hands in this way? ;-)

Last edited by DreymaR (21-Aug-2019 10:37:32)

A good example of this is the word YOU
    You can really feel the hand strain.

You can, while for me I think it feels okay. But yeah, I see what you mean. If it really bothers you and you don't want to train Pinky Fu too hard, I'd consider using alt-fingering for that word. One suggestion is to slide your hand one key to the right and use the 3-4-2 fingering instead of 4-5-3. With a little training and a not too heavy wrist you can slide like that almost effortlessly.

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Sep-2019 14:21:11)

"You" is trainable, after some practice it is just comes out automatically. No one layout is ideal, and this is one of weak combinations in Colemak, qwerty has more of that kind.

Pinkies up, Spongebob.

Colemak typist