• You are not logged in.

A little progress and a massive thanks

• Started by AlexP
    • 8 Replies:

Hello

After years of touch typing gymnastics on qwerty and a 5 year stint of overworking my right pinky on dvorak, I have just recently started to learn Colemak. Aware of Mod-DH I wanted to give vanilla Colemak a shot, so I spent a few days picking it up before realising the benefits of Mod-DH were right for me. Now after a couple of weeks training on amphetype and 10fastfingers my stats for the latter are average speed 36wpm and top speed 51wpm. So far so good. I like the trademark rolls and also that my fingers/hands hardly have to move/stretch for any common letters due to their excellent placement.

A massive thanks to Colemak creator Shai and the Colemak community for the hard work on all the mods. Specifically Stevep99 and Dreymar, I am enjoying the comfort of Mod-DH and the power of Extend.

I will post regular updates of my progress. Onward and upward!

Last edited by AlexP (07-Sep-2019 14:01:11)

Welcome and congratulations on making all the right choices :P

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

To infinity and beyond! Very good sir!

If you're on Windows with EPKL, I'm now working on expanding its power with multiple dead keys from the Extend key on taps. But it's not entirely stable yet as I experience some stuck modifiers and swaps if I hit keys too fast. Still, this has a lot of power potential!

Last edited by DreymaR (09-Sep-2019 10:29:42)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

stevep99 said:

Welcome and congratulations on making all the right choices :P

Thanks steve. I've not had much chance to practice recently but I'm still solely using mod-dh and still enjoying the comfort. D and H are obviously improved but I think the better positioned B is what I appreciate most. I always disliked the reach to the qwerty b.

DreymaR said:

To infinity and beyond! Very good sir!

If you're on Windows with EPKL, I'm now working on expanding its power with multiple dead keys from the Extend key on taps. But it's not entirely stable yet as I experience some stuck modifiers and swaps if I hit keys too fast. Still, this has a lot of power potential!

Wow! Sounds so potentially powerful! Yes I am on Windows with EPKL. I will look forward to your extension of Extend.
    I must say that Extend has become one of my most useful tools. Great work Dreymar thanks again.

I've still got a weird kink where typing 'å' (using AltGr) sometimes gets LCtrl stuck. But when I straighten that out eventually, I think I'm ready for a release.

It's a lot of fun with a kaomoji dead key, which can have both lower and upper case versions of the kaomojis!  (b ̄◇ ̄)b    d( ^◇^)b

Rabbit:    /(⁎≧∇≦)\         ̄(=⌒ᆺ⌒=) ̄
    Kitty:       (=^・ω・^=)丿        (=ʘᆽʘ=)ʃ
    Owl:        ( のvの)        ლ( ʘ▽ʘ)ლ~ORLY
    Flip:         ( ╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻         /( .□.)\ ︵╰(°益°)╯︵ /(.□. /)
    Peace:      ┬─┬ ノ( °‿°ノ)         ✌(   ̄▽ ̄ )

etc. etc.  ♪~╰(*°▽°*)╯~♪

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Nov-2019 09:46:42)

Stop beckoning me to the dark side.  How long were you typing under Dvorak?  Really 5 years?

Last edited by pinkyache (05-Nov-2019 11:22:59)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I can't remember anymore actually.  ¯\(º_o)/¯

If you want to be backwards, you can use EPKL with Dvorak too. It just isn't quite out-of-the-box at this moment. For one, images need to be generated for the actual layout including ergo mods, so there aren't any Dvorak help images in the EPKL distro. Some can be generated though.

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Nov-2019 11:53:35)

Hi Colemak crew!

Just thought I’d post a little update. I’m about 9 months typing with Mod-DH. I haven’t been practicing for the last 6 months just typing day-to-day, work etc. But this week I did a typing test every day and I averaged 56 WPM. I’m typing very accurately and I must say that I’m very pleased by the comfort. I don’t suffer from any aching fingers or wrists which I did before. I still suffer a little from mousing but not typing.

Also Extend is a beast! Navigating and editing text is breeze. Extend feels so natural and instinctive that I have taken to it like a duck to water. Thanks DreymaR much appreciated.

It's Colemak-DH  ( ಸ‿ಸ)ಽ

And thanks for the feedback! Yup, Extend is wonderful.  ∩(●'‿'●)∩