• You are not logged in.

Easier Selection of Layout.

• Started by pocketdrummer
    • 3 Replies:

I'm not sure how other operating systems work, but in Ubuntu Linux all I have to do to change the layout is to go to

System - Preferences - Keyboard - Layouts (tab) - <select layout you wish to use>

If it isn't there, you just click Add, select the language, and then select the layout. I think it would be much better if the layout was selectable this way. (you can also use an applet that switches between added layouts. This is useful if other people want to use your computer)

The thing about Linux is that Colemak is bundled with all major distributions. This unfortunately isn't the case with other operating systems. As far as Windows goes, Michael Kaplan (Microsoft International Fundamentals technical lead) seems to be rather apathetic towards Colemak.

Antipathetic more like. His attitude to the Colemak community is actually quite derogatory.

That's not his view on the Colemak community; for all I know he may not have a view on us per nobis at all. What he refers to is the "spirited supporters" that wouldn't keep the peace he tried to impose on his blog's commentary pages. This is not the same as Colemak supporters in general. His only comment about us is that we don't like CapsLock. (I do, but only to use it for something entirely different - he couldn't know that and he probably wouldn't care either but that's a bit beside the point.)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***