• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Make colemak the default on linux terminals, no X

Make colemak the default on linux terminals, no X

• Started by vertebrate
    • 5 Replies:

How can I make colemak be used by default on terminals on boot. I mean completely outside of X, either by switching view ctrl+alt+F1, etc... or when loading into a recovery shell. I have tried loadkeys, and install-keymap but those only last for the current session, when I restart I have to hunt down the keymap, and reload it using qwerty.

Thanks,
    Steve

can you not put a loadkeys line into your rc.sysinit file or whatever script your system runs on startup?

I could, I'm just not sure what file that is in Ubuntu. There isn't a rc.sysinit file. I'm thinking I need to add it to the various run levels via update-rc.d? Anyone done this before in Ubuntu?

Isn't that what etc/X11/Xorg.conf -> Section "InputDevice" -> Option "XkbSymbols" does?

I'm not that familiar with Linux yet so forgive me if I'm making no sense at all by any chance.  :)

[edit: Ouch, you did say "no X" and I suppose what I just said is "X". Righto. And the solution for "Linux in text console mode" isn't the one for you either, I suppose ( install-keymap linux_console/colemak.iso15.kmap ) ?]

Last edited by DreymaR (09-Feb-2008 23:54:55)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

You are correct. I already have everything working in X, I'm now looking for a non-X solution. I thought that install-keymap would do it, but it only does it for the current session. As soon as I logout, or reboot, I lose it. I then have to do loadkeys manually. So I just need a way to make it the default, or to set it at startup. Whichever it may be. From what I've read, I think I just have to setup some scripts and hook them up for the various run levels.

• Index
      • Technical
      • Make colemak the default on linux terminals, no X