• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • A question before starting: shifting the home row

A question before starting: shifting the home row

• Started by corrodedCrustacean
    • 6 Replies:

Hello, I'm interested in learning Colemak, but before I start I'd like to know your opinion on this: when I learned touch-typing on a QWERTY I decided to rest my fingers on SDFG and KL;' instead of ASDF and JKL; (shifting the finger one key to the right from the usual resting position) because I thought it was "more in the middle" of the keyboard (notably the ] and # keys are easier to reach).

Is it a good idea to keep this finger position when learning Colemak? And if I do, should I customize the layout by shifting all the keys to the right?

Thank you for your answers!

No, it's best to keep your fingers on ARST and NEIO. They were placed there with letter frequency in mind and you'll have a hard time typing otherwise. You can always check out the wide mod if you feel like keeping your right hand in the same position. It's what I use.

OK Thank you! The website you linked also has a mod that supports my finger position (Angle mod), could I use that or is Wide mod better? I feel like it's easier to touch the leftmost keys with the right-shifted Angle mod than the middle keys with Wide mod.

I only use the wide mod, as I don't have a problem hitting keys in their normal staggered pattern. This is my current layout.

X8r0rMI.png

It comes down to personal preference, really. You should choose what feels most comfortable to you. The point of the wide mod is that it places uncommonly used keys in the center of the keyboard, so your hands don't have to be scrunched together so closely (albeit, it's only a one key difference). If you insist on keeping your right shifted home row then I recommend this one:

angle_mod_colemak_ansi_althome.png

I suggest you also read my Big Bag, which is where the Wide and Angle mods pretty much stem from.   ̄(=⌒ᆺ⌒=) ̄

I use Colemak-CAW[eD]+Ext – that is, the Curl(DH)+Angle+Wide ergo mods, my very extensive "[eD]" AltGr and dead key mappings and the wonderful Extend layers. The most powerful thing you can do is probably to learn Extend. It's also easy to learn and use compared to even the simplest ergo mods – but it still takes some thought and experience to master!

I support the A-Wing mod Konomu displays, but I don't quite recommend it as it makes the stretches to Tab and LShift awkward. For ANSI boards I think the usual Angle-Z mod is the best although no ANSI Angle mods are as easy as the ISO one.

Last edited by DreymaR (17-Mar-2020 14:48:03)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks for your answers! I think I'll try the wide position with the CAW[eD]+Ext variant, I really like the idea of the extend key.

d( ^◇^)b

(Extend protip: To type the thumbs-up kaomoji, press Shift and tap Extend†, then type T. If you type Shift+T you get the alternate form of it.)

(b ̄◇ ̄)b

Last edited by DreymaR (24-Mar-2020 14:02:57)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • General
      • A question before starting: shifting the home row