• You are not logged in.

Colemak FOR PROGRAMMERS

• Started by CircumPlexx
    • 3 Replies:

We, programmers, are using a lot of spec characters. As we know the typewriter was created much earlier than "programming" wad appeared.

The problem
    How do you enter spec characters on your keyboard? Likely, you use 2 little fingers (1-st for "Shift", 2-d for "character"), but considering where they are, I want to say: "This is so uncomfortable!!!".

Just look at these photos!!!!!
    Heatmap.pngUdobstvo.png

The whole load on the little fingers - on the weakest fingers (also Frequent using of Shift doesn't add convenience in entering a new brace).

The solution
    In my solution, I swapped special characters and numbers (to enter a number, you must use shift). + Character's position was changed

COLEMAK.png

Important! Some of key locations may not suit you, This is the only idea and you have an opportunity to make your own, more comfortable layout if you want.

The final heatmap

CmkHeatmap.png

Also the layout will suit for people, who use HTML, XML, XAML, because you shouldn't use shift for enter "<" and ">"

XML heatmap

xml.png

Download: here

Last edited by CircumPlexx (11-Apr-2020 16:56:29)

I see your solution and raise you my solution.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

I see your solutions and raise you the BigBag.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In particular, the Wide mod and Extend.

On a side note, I don't agree with stretching so much up to the number row. Why would you want that? If you ground yourself up there you'll have trouble with the transit to the lower row. It's bad enough to jump two rows up and down, three is quite a distance.

Last edited by DreymaR (14-Apr-2020 08:37:43)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

The Big Bag doesn't deal specifically with common programming symbols, but of course it does allow you to define custom mappings in a layer.

I really like my custom layer, it has all the most common symbols and numpad in one layer. It might not suit peope who need to type foreign accents/characters a lot though.

Obviously OP should use Extend *in addition* to a having a customs symbols layer.  Choose Life. Choose Extend.

Last edited by stevep99 (14-Apr-2020 14:26:42)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.