• You are not logged in.

Double switch

• Started by DJ Bacon
    • 1 Replies:

For some reason I have been enthralled with keyboard layouts for the last three weeks.
    I have been a three finger hunt n’ pecker for the last 10 years or so and I could do about 25 words a minute if I wasn’t testing myself (less if I was, lol). I always hated typing anything because it took so long. It was affecting my work so I decided to do something about it. I am kind of an efficiency nut so I started doing research on the best way to learn touch typing. I came across something that suggested that if you were just learning to type then you may want to try Dvorak because it’s more efficient than QWERTY and a lot more comfortable, among other reasons. I did more research and decided that Dvorak was for me. I went cold turkey. I printed off the layout, taped it to my monitor and didn’t look back. I even went so far as blacking out my keys on my home keyboard, and I was doing fine. It felt more comfortable than my attempts at QWERTY touch typing.  About 2 weeks into my Dvorak adventure I came across a forum entry that mentioned Colemak.
    I found this web site and started reading the FAQ. When I got to “What's wrong with the Dvorak layout?” my hackles rose. I admit that my first thought was “Bull S#!t” but I decided to give it a fair chance. I got it working on my home pc and within 10 minutes I was hooked. I threw away the Dvorak layout and now i'm on my second day. I love the fact I can keep the ctrl x/c/v shortcuts and I don’t have tired pinkies anymore!

Welcome!   From another hunt and pecker that did a brief stint with Dvorak and then found Colemak and never looked back!  Since on a Mac there is what is called Dvorak-Qwerty(Command) that when you press the Command key switches the layout to Qwerty to retain shortcuts, I had to think for a while whether the other benefits of Colemak were worth dropping my two month start with Dvorak. 

Obviously, Dvorak is an improvement over Qwerty and when you invest time, you get invested in the layout.  It's only natural. 

I am just really glad to have my right pinky occasionally reaching for ;  rather than L now. 

Glad I switched a year ago.

Last edited by keyboard samurai (15-Feb-2008 09:13:04)