• You are not logged in.

Keyboard Challenge Video

• Started by kie
    • 7 Replies:

Hi all,
    am always trying to encourage people to try Colemak and so I made this video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvGIirm4UlE
    Feel free to criticise it :)

Not much to criticise there, it's nice!  d( ^◇^)b

If you want to, you could use any of my graphics if you ask first. Well, maybe a bit late for that now, but...

And if I were you I'd link to the site! Maybe even to the Discord although that link's a bit messy.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

good idea, I will put some links in the description.
    btw where are your graphics?

Most of them are seen in the BigBag.

Tarmak-ETROI_Spectral_CAW.png?raw=1
        The Tarmak transition to Colemak-CurlAngleWide, an ergonomic variant of Colemak. J moves around until it finds its final position.

Last edited by DreymaR (06-May-2020 12:19:16)

I like it, presenting it as a challenge is a nice idea.

One minor quibble: you say Qwerty was "a good layout when people were using typewriters".

Actually, it's a poor layout even for typewriters.

Last edited by stevep99 (06-May-2020 12:48:34)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

It depends. QWERTY was well enough designed for its time, but touch typing wasn't invented yet at that time. So it served the needs of telegraphists using typewriters well enough for the time being, but obviously wasn't designed for future advances.

Another quibble might be that Colemak isn't designed purely by computers but also by hand and sense and trial-and-error. Shai has written an article about the design of Colemak that describes the process somewhat simplified.

Yes, these are both valid quibbles, I know that I simplified things a lot by saying the qwerty is good and just saying 'designed using computers'.
    I hope that those that are interested will look into Colemak and the whole process that it took to come up with the layout.
    My goal was to accentuate the positives while keeping the video short and easy to understand.

DreymaR said:

It depends. QWERTY was well enough designed for its time, but touch typing wasn't invented yet at that time. So it served the needs of telegraphists using typewriters well enough for the time being, but obviously wasn't designed for future advances.

Well, if you say the first successful typewriter was released in 1874, and touch typing was apparently invented in 1888, then you could say, if you were being generous, Qwerty was good enough for the first 14 years of its existence. But most people would think of the typewriter age as running right up to the 1970s and 80s. Even I remember using one as a child. It must have been well-known that Qwerty was unsatisfactory for many years, hence Dvorak. IIRC even Sholes himself came up with an improved layout later in life, but no-one was interested by then.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.