• You are not logged in.

New experience with Colemak and some questions

• Started by Mandor
    • 5 Replies:

Hi all,

I read about Colemak layout some time ago, but I hadn't tried it until before November. I started the lessons on TypeFaster, but as my work is really computer related I could not switch "cold turkey". I type no more than half an hour a day on average (maybe less...) and I have never touchtyped on qwerty before. I did each lesson few times and for several weeks I'm at the last one - 12. My speed (reported by TypeFaster) is about 20 wpm (duh, pathetic) and accuracy about 90% (that's true accuracy - no backspace). I always correct everything so my 'untrue' accuracy is usually 100%.

My typing is still not fluent (especially caps and punctuation) and I do not feel like switching completely, but the last lesson in TypeFaster feels somewhat too familiar already, so I was wondering what to do in order to get some more practice before continue. I think that seeing the layout in TypeFaster is bad for training at this point, so I wonder if I can train with some other program. So I need some advise - should I train the last lesson on TypeFaster until I type with closed eyes or I could do something else (other than switching completely, of course).

BTW, in the moment I type in two-finger qwerty and I'm trying to Do look in the keyboard. Still need some more training before swicthing.

I must note that the caps-backspace substitution is just great, this is one of the greatest things I've seen recently :) Many gratitudes to Mr. Coleman :)

• Shai
    • Administrator

The beginner lessons are only to get you to the point where you know where all the letters are. After you reach that stage, I recommend using the typing tests and the games on the Learn page to advance to higher speeds. That said, I'm planning to add more typing lessons in the future.

Don't try to go fast. Practice slow, perhaps half speed and put a premium on accuracy and flow.  Work on having a constant rhythm, don't speed up what is familiar. 

Practicing these words may help.
    http://www.duboislc.org/EducationWatch/ … Words.html

I am doing these to work on breaking out of the plateau I seem to be in and to try to break the 50 wpm for 2 min. barrier on Ryan's typing test. 

I was also not a touch typist in qwerty.  Trust me. If you keep at it you will reach a threshold and when you start hitting 30 wpm you will not want to go back to two fingers.  I also don't do a lot of typing daily relative to most.

Last edited by keyboard samurai (19-Jan-2008 18:37:30)

Thanks for the replies. I figured out that I could put any words I want in TypeFaster, but the games seems to be a better alternative soon.

Any opinion on seeing the layout like in TypeFaster? Is it bad?

Edit:

Duh, just tried some games - my speed is at about 10-15 wpm in real life ... I could not even start some games.  I suppose that once I learn the punctuation and caps (i.e. not think what I should do) it will be much more fluent. BTW, I don't really need anything beyond 30-40 wpm as speed, just want to type without looking at the keyboard (as well in dark) and do it with a not hindering speed.

Last edited by Mandor (19-Jan-2008 22:46:10)

In my experience, you need to hit at least 30 WPM before most games become fun to play. The Typing of the Dead has drills though that to some extent work well at lower speeds. You can see yourself improving in different aspects which is intrigueing. But that game too becomes more fun once you pick up a little momentum.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hi all, a little update.

For some time I was not able to practice at all, but a week ago I switched completely. My speed is about 20+ up to 30 (very unstable), but that's usable for now. I sometimes practice common words online or some books extracts in TypeFaster - though not enough, maybe - only 10 -15 minutes a day on average. My biggest gripe are passwords - I really should practice more with these.

Once I have more or less fluent typing I will post to report how much time it takes to get it without much solicited practice.

It feels much better already, though I need few moments to find the home keys when I start typing - quite uncommon for me as I have never touchtyped before.

Last edited by Mandor (16-Feb-2008 14:40:36)