• You are not logged in.

Ever tried: Keyboard with message?

• Started by dexen deVries
    • 5 Replies:

The idea:
    to have the keys on the keyboard acutally say something. Wouldn't you like to have a keyboard with a *message*?

Problem:
    to find an interesting text possible to be constructed by rearranging keys.

Rationale:
    since I've learned to touch-type, there's no need to have keys on keyboard match the layout as set in OS. I'm free to rearrange almost all the keys, and have them say something funny/insightfull/witty. Maybe some riddle?

Means:
    move certain keys around to make them spell something. Substituting Numbers, Arrows and other `1337' keys is accepted.

Limitations:
    almost all the keys on my KBD can be rearranged, aside of Shift, Enter, Alts, Ctrls, Win and Menu, +, 0 and Enter on numerical. I even have one `Turbo' key that can be moved around. Arrows and backspace *can* be moved. Keys cannot be rotated, and F and J ought to stay, since they're marked with a small bump each, helping me sense the home row.
    Clearly, the text have to be a panagram (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangram) or be close to being one, to be constructed from keys.

You can make new bumps for the F and J keys. See my keyboard modding post https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=188 if you're interested.

What an interesting concept. There's the PLUM keyboard that tries to make its layout easier to learn by spelling a few words, but it doesn't take it all the way.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks for the link.

It's not like I need to have physical keys match the logical layout (as set in OS). Actually, I'd rather have them not. Just to keep me from looking on them instead of typing by memory. The rearrangement is not meant as help in learning, really.

I'd like the keys to say something to others. And that's all about it.

You could have your keys say something inspirational.

Yes, why not?

:)

I gave it a try, and for now my keyboard spells:
    QUICK,BROWN
    F0XJVMP'D
    THELAZY]*G

But that's just lame. Care to give better suggestions?

As for the humps on home row's keys, it seems a bit of adhesive tape is enough.

Last edited by dexen deVries (16-Feb-2008 20:29:01)