• You are not logged in.

Switching Between QWERTY and Colemak

• Started by jhoppin
    • 4 Replies:

I installed the Colemak keyboard on my computer and I am now completely unable to go back to a QWERTY format. I am using WindowsXP (unfortunately) and I still need the QWERTY as others use my computer sometimes. This is absolutely my fault mind you.  I have uninstalled Colemak, used MS keyboard mapping software, etc.  No luck.  Anyone have a solution?

Meaning I would like to be able to switch back and forth between the two - any solutions?

Did you add QWERTY as well as the Colemak to the list in the Regional Settings? You can then add a language bar to your taskbar. If you need more details on how to do it, let me know so I can post some screenshots and more details.

If above did not work, go to the download page. There you'll see version 1.0 and a newer beta version, try installing the beta one, might help.

Hmmm. If you're using a Colemak layout in Windows, you can't uninstall it without first deselecting it (which means swapping to another layout like QWERTY), so I'm a bit confused as to what you've done. I'm hoping you didn't use a complete registry remap because I don't know how to handle those. But what have you done, really?

As AGK says, if you're using a layout then all you need to do is to add another language/layout in the regional settings control panel and you'll get the language bar and the possibility to use hotkeys to switch too if you like that.

Last edited by DreymaR (01-Aug-2007 02:07:12)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Along with the others above, I'd like to also include that once you've added Colemak and your usual QWERTY to the Regional settings, all you have to do to switch between layouts is ctrl+shift.

If you have multiple input languages installed, you can use alt+shift to switch between them.