• You are not logged in.

Learn keyboard layout with the spaced repetition typing tutor

• Started by amaya
    • 2 Replies:

Warn: the data compatibility in future is not guaranteed(very likely due I thought out one new algorithm).
    Usage:
    just run this python script
    'a' to add new keys sequences
    'r' to review
    'e' to easy review(design for reinforce learned keys sequence without too much tire your hand, just image you how to typing, if you forgotten, just wait and skip)
    'd' to delete keys sequences
    's' to save data(you need manually save data by C-c in function selection interface or input 's')

Tips:
    1. First you should learn basic key only for new layout, you don't need see layout image just intuit random try until correctly.
    2. When you can type all basic key without see layout image, add any common keys sequences(words, commands, etc.) you want to quickly type. especially, add common phonemes is better than add plain common word, so you can maximize reuse your muscle memory.
    For example, break down "muscle memory" to "mu scle me mo ry" to review.
    3. The spaced repetition need take some times, so just relax and pause when you feel tired, similar to "Learn 10 minutes a day".
    Python script to learn keyboard layout with the spaced repetition:
    4. When in doubt, press any error key(e.g. the Enter key) to tell this program you forgotten how to type before you try hard to recall.

Python script to learn keyboard layout with the spaced repetition:
    https://bitbucket.org/amaya_spaced/spac … -tutor3.py

Last edited by amaya (04-Jan-2021 16:27:31)

Sorry for my bad, when first, I just want share my implemented tool but I aware just powerful spaced repetition is not enough for keyboard learning:
    Here is my experiences for keyboard learning that unrelated spaced repetition:
    You should find out a way on your operating system to quickly switch between new keyboard layout(e.g. Colemak) and old keyboard layout(e.g. qwerty), when you feel you losing productivity, just quickly switch back your mastered keyboard layout.
    In my system, I use the openbox window manager, I just configure one openbox keyboard shortcuts to xmodmap.

Important update:
    Just now, I fix a important bug in typing-tutor2.py that cause almost completely inefficient and meaningless schedule result.