• You are not logged in.

C Key, Angle mod

• Started by megavolt
    • 3 Replies:

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong subforum as I am new here. I've been interested in the DHk mod  because of my standard staggered ANSI keyboard.

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever considered moving the C Key given its new location with the angle mod? Since it is in the former X position now, it requires one to curl their middle finger to reach and I feel like a swap with the letter G might be good given their relative frequencies, especially for those with longer fingers, and that shortcuts can still be done with one hand (in fact even easier since you dont have to skip over the D key to copy paste).

Just wondering.

The reason for moving the keys is allow for an improved technique, while preserving finger assignment. C is supposed to be assigned to the middle finger, so swapping it with G would lead to it moving finger, thereby creating new same-finger bigrams and possibly other side effects.

Some people have advocated switching C with F, since they are both the same finger, and the middle finger can more easily reach the top row. But that does break the ZXCV pattern more.

Regarding the copy/paste shortcuts, there is another solution if you use Extend: I have both Extend-C and Extend-D set to Copy, with Extend-V set to paste as you'd expect.

Last edited by stevep99 (12-Jan-2021 10:02:11)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

I found the C key uncomfortable when I began with the angle mod and considered moving it. I didn’t move it and persisted, now the middle finger curl to C is effortless. I would recommend giving it time.

Last edited by AlexP (12-Jan-2021 14:40:52)
    AlexP said:

I found the C key uncomfortable when I began with the angle mod and considered moving it. I didn’t move it and persisted, now the middle finger curl to C is effortless. I would recommend giving it time.

Agree, the C is probably the most difficult to adapt to of the Angle Mod changes, especially if like me you were previously using the "incorrect" index finger. But it's worth persevering as the new C is not that bad, and certainly too good a spot for X.

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.